My updated Aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwayne.aycock

Aquarium Advice Freak
My updated Amazon aquascaping. All live plants, driftwood and mangrove roots.
Tank has 7 Angels, 5 Discus, 13 mexican red cherry barbs, 2 green coreys, and 3 rainbow sharks.
Plants are all amazon swords, java ferns, java moss, water onion and a few others that go well in this environment.
Your thoughts....... Dwayne

Attachments

• image-4091506696.jpg
    image-4091506696.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 83
  • image-1578251974.jpg
    image-1578251974.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 80
  • image-1971177626.jpg
    image-1971177626.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 73
  • image-899990378.jpg
    image-899990378.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 74
Nice tank! Those mangrove roots are boss.

What kind of lighting do you have and are you dosing any ferts or injecting co2?

Looks amazing! If I could change one thing though it'd be switch to sand ;)

I have to use ferts "root tabs", leaf zone and CO2 booster by API. I don't use any other methods, but I do use natural sunlight for about 4-5 hours per day with no algae problems whatsoever. I would love to go to sand, but have an even better choice. A local Aquarium Society is getting me actual Amazon basin soil which I can add to my current set up. The soil is baked so there is no parasite issue, and all of the essential nutrients are there. This soil comes in sheets like ceramic tiles and can be covered up by my current gravel. Over time, the sheet dissolves and suddenly, I have a soil base under my gravel. I have to be patient, but I am excited about the possibilities.
Dwayne

You were right Dwayne they set you up good! Can't believe how different it looks now! Good job and keep me updated especially on how the baby discus are doing.

Sounds like interesting substrate.

Take some pics and post of the process when you get them in and get ready to add them. I would be very interested to see them!

Sounds like interesting substrate.

Take some pics and post of the process when you get them in and get ready to add them. I would be very interested to see them!

Dwayne that's a good idea! Be sure to take pic's of the sheets of soil as I've never seen anything like that before.

Also did the guy tell you what species of Discus he gave you?

Baby Discus are doing fine so far. They like the lush landscape and the gently flowing water. There are plenty of places to hide, but they are right out in front. There is no shyness and their appetites are good. Did I tell you that I have 7 of them? I have taken your advice and started the raise the tank temp. Temp was 80 degrees and I am slowly raising it to 84 degrees. I called Hank back to ask a few questions and he assures me that I am taking all of the right precautions. He suggested a back-up heater just in case, but i already have that base covered. He even said if I had any REAL problems, he would come over to help. That is the greatest feeling of all! I did not get much sediment when I aquascaped, and the filters had everything clear again in under 2 hours. I plan a 20% WC tomorrow. I think it is a shame that some men can be JERKS! Their loss....not yours! The Aquarium Society here is about 50/50, but I believe it is slightly more women when everyone is assembled. I am one of the young ones however at a tender 48 (LOL). I have more driftwood to add to my current setup. It is soaking in R/O water until it no longer floats. I have no idea how long that will take, but I have nothing but time. I was thinking of taking out the mangrove roots, but the small fish love to play and hide among them. I even have a few Java ferns that have attached to them and are doing fine. I am feeding all of the fish the flake with metranitazole as suggested by the breeder, for 2 days on and 1 day off for the next 30 days as a prevention against disease. I have no idea what I am going to do with so much food. The bag is the size of a small couch pillow.
More later Coach....Dwayne

Back
Top Bottom