My visit to an online plant seller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm lucky enough to live within driving distance of an awesome "plant" person. I thought I'd put up some pics of his plant room and some tanks for all to see. I left with $70 worth of mostly red and foreground plants. Glosso, Nesea, Ranalisma, Limnophila hippuroides, and Alternanthera reinecki cardinalis.

Makes me jealous.. my five running tanks seem a little understocked in the plant category.

Great pics and what a great opportunity. Would they permit you to describe their setup in more detail?

Yes fishfreek, I'm sure he would as any word is an opportunity for him to increase his business. :lol:

What I can say is from observation. I saw not only a tremendous variety ( over 60 species in stock), but all of the plants were in superb condition. Unlike a fish, one can tell right away whether or not a plant is thriving. Although he uses a variety of light intensities, he has no CO2 injection.

He advertises on aquabid.com and goes by the name of lowcoaster (although I knew him first as a GCAS member), not from aquabid. Anyone interested can view most of his stock on line, and I'm sure he would answer any questions that were emailed to him.

HTH

I've bought plants from Charley on Aquabid. He's a great guy! As honest and helpful as they come!

Oh, snap. Brian, that's awesome. (Happy Thanksgiving, btw, all!)

We'all gotta go see this place in the future. Too cool. And I don't recognize Charley from GCAS last year; is he new?

What a coincidence. I bought some plants from this last Friday and they arrived today in great shape. I highly recommend him if you're looking for quality plants and prompt shipping...

sweet setup!

I've also noticed a member here by the name of 'lowcoaster" so, welcome Charlie!

If I didn't have more plants than I can possible need, I surely give him a chance!

I drool over lowcoasters plants EVERY single week on aquabid. In fact, I often use his pics as reference on research. Sadly I'm on the west coast. When you factor in expensive express shipping, it's simply not cost effective.

What I would really like to point out is that it's great to see people truely passionate about a hobby. Someday I hope to have the time and space to do what lowcoaster is doing. I'm envious! Keep up the great work!

Right now we are putting together an aquatic plant club for the people of NJ and Metro NY. There are quite a few well know plant enthusiasts from our area involved, and we would love to welcome members from our area from Aquarium Advice to join our group. I see a few of you have responded to this thread

My idea is for something, not like a traditional club at this point, but more of a mailing list. My thought was to put together an email list of area people who are interested in plants. What we would do is send out a message to other members of the list when we have a particular plant we are looking to swap or sell, or if there is a particular plant we are looking for. We would give members of the list the first chance to buy, sell or swap said plants. This network would be a means of contact for all local plant enthusiasts. It is not limited to plant exchanges. If you have a question or experience to share, we would like to hear it!

I would love to see this transition from the designed network into more of a traditional, plant oriented club. While I think a traditional style club could happen, the network would be a great way to gauge interest, while limiting the initial amount of commitment.

At this point we have about a dozen members. We are on our way and have just started our own Yahoo Group ( NJAPN - North Jersey Aquatic Plant Network). IT COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO PARTICIPATE AS A MEMBER! Anyone in the NJ-NY Metro area as well as CT and western PA are encouraged to join us! You can contact myself via PM here at Aquarium Advice, via PM on Planted Tank, or subscribe to the group directly: NJAPN-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

Please, feel free to contact me with any questions! I'd be more than happy to answer. The more people involved, the better the club will be! Your participation will only make our club stronger!

Mike

How funny! :lol: I have been talking to Charley about special ordering some plants for me today. Nice Guy! Glad to hear people think highly of him :D

Momotaro said:
Right now we are putting together an aquatic plant club for the people of NJ and Metro NY. There are quite a few well know plant enthusiasts from our area involved, and we would love to welcome members from our area from Aquarium Advice to join our group. I see a few of you have responded to this thread

My idea is for something, not like a traditional club at this point, but more of a mailing list. My thought was to put together an email list of area people who are interested in plants. What we would do is send out a message to other members of the list when we have a particular plant we are looking to swap or sell, or if there is a particular plant we are looking for. We would give members of the list the first chance to buy, sell or swap said plants. This network would be a means of contact for all local plant enthusiasts. It is not limited to plant exchanges. If you have a question or experience to share, we would like to hear it!

I would love to see this transition from the designed network into more of a traditional, plant oriented club. While I think a traditional style club could happen, the network would be a great way to gauge interest, while limiting the initial amount of commitment.

At this point we have about a dozen members. We are on our way and have just started our own Yahoo Group ( NJAPN - North Jersey Aquatic Plant Network). IT COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO PARTICIPATE AS A MEMBER! Anyone in the NJ-NY Metro area as well as CT and western PA are encouraged to join us! You can contact myself via PM here at Aquarium Advice, via PM on Planted Tank, or subscribe to the group directly: NJAPN-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

Please, feel free to contact me with any questions! I'd be more than happy to answer. The more people involved, the better the club will be! Your participation will only make our club stronger!

Mike

What?? No pub night?

Charley's plants are without a doubt the finest I've ever gotten. I used to buy all of my plants from online retailers and pay the outrageous shipping fees they charged, but after finding Charley's auctions on AquaBid I am hooked. His plants are more robust and healthier than anything I've ever gotten from plant retailers and the shipping is actually affordable. I recommend him without hesitation. He is a master.

Wow!!!!

Thanks for all the kind words!!!! My customers are the Greatest!!!!! :p :p

Ok I am over at Aquabid checking out Lowcoaster's plants :D .
I'm from upper Westchester, NY so I can conceivably save on shipping if I pickup from him. Thanks for the recommendation all... I'm glad there's a good local alternative to the lack of selctions the LFS provide.

Back
Top Bottom