My Water is Turning Green?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyFamily

Aquarium Advice Regular
Maybe a silly question, but...

Our tank is about 2 - 3 months old. Our water has turned green in about a couple of day's time. I'm assuming its free floating algae? Nothing has significantly changed recently other than adding a sand sifting star fish about a three weeks ago. We have a protein skimmer and bio-wheel circulator. We added an actinic/daylight/moon light lighing sytem about a month ago. Any ideas?

Attachments

• tank_214.jpg
    tank_214.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 501
This happened to us a couple of months after we started our tank.
Where do you get your water from?
How long are you running your lights?
Does your tank receive any natural sunlight?

DJ

The increase in light could have prompted an algae bloom, likely there are excess nutrients in the system to begin with. I would test for nitrates, phosphates, silicates, etc.

Yeah that happened to my moms tank. Hers got like neon green. It started like that but just kept getting worse. The only thing that fixed it was a UV Sterilizer. She got herself one and me one for christmas. She hooked it up and the water was clear in like 3 days. She had the tank right next to a bay window. All that sunlight shining in wasent good. Now she has blinds up.

To answer questions:
We prepare the water ourselves. :?
Our lights run on Hawaii time (sunrise - sunset) - comes out to 10am to 8pm CST.
Yes, our tank is about 10' away from our kitchen bay window.
The only testing I've done is pH and Alk and they always show to be in the normal range and my hydrometer show the salinity to be correct as well.

...... yes, we are beginners. :oops:

Dont worry about being beginners . we all were one at one time. I second the UV light as it will get rid of the algea spores and I also agree with hoops that there are excess nutients in there. Are you using tap water.

Aiyi yiyiyi! Had to wait until payday, but finally have the uv sterilizer on the way. I couldn't seem to find one locally for my size of tank so I had to order one on that friendly auction site. :-D
Plan on making a supply trip to the lfs tomorrow too - Thanks for all of your help, I've learned a lot through this green nightmare. Hope to report back with crystal clear water soon.

Sorry forgot to ask... would running only half of my lighting system help as well? If so, do I shut down the actinic or the daylight side?

My green tank makes me sad, I think about Nemo jamming the filtration system to escape the dentist :cry:

Hello again :-D
I finally got my UV Sterilizer and got it set up. I went to get a test kit over the weekend and guess what... the wrong chem bottles were in the box. Got the test kit exchanged and tested my water.
pH 7.3
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
From what I've read this seems perfect, so I am assuming that the big bad algae bloom has to do with the new lighting system and the sunlight from the bay window.

Thanks for all of your help and thanks for listening to me. 0X

You sure your PH is right? That is really low. Ideal is 8.1 to 8.3. What is your salinity, CA, and ALK?

just curious...can fish and corals live in the green water? if so, how long?
Chaz: fortunately that is something I have no experience with. I would say it would depend on what was out of wack to cause the water to be green. If it was not corrected right away I would also say the corals would suffer from lack of light penetration.

Sheesh - I can't type - pH was actually 8.3 :oops:

Alk shows "normal" according to the test
Salinity .022
Couldn't find a CA test, but will look for one at the other LFS near my office tomorrow.

I just got back from the LFS and the guy there told me that the UV Sterilizer is bad for my reef. Does anyone have any further info on his comment? What's he talking about?

An UV sterilizer isn't bad for corals but UV light is. As long as none of the corals are expose to the UV you are ok.

Back
Top Bottom