My water isn't clear!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D_Tristan22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I removed my gravel last night because I I am in the process of switching to sand. I wanted to let my filter take over because gravel does hold onto a lot of junk.
I left over night and my water still doesn't look clear as when I had the gravel. Is this normal?

If you didn't do regular gravel cleanings, yes it could last a while.. A water change could help a lot if it's not that bad :)

Clearing the Tank Water

I removed my gravel last night because I I am in the process of switching to sand. I wanted to let my filter take over because gravel does hold onto a lot of junk.
I left over night and my water still doesn't look clear as when I had the gravel. Is this normal?

Hello D...

Large, frequent water changes are helpful as is using poly fiber padding in the filter equipment. The thicker and denser the padding the better. It will attract and hold the small, floating particles that cloud the water.

B

Thank you. I do a 30% water change weekly though. I must have done a terrible job:/ ha.

As for the filter. I have the marine land bio filter so I'm not sure how the padding of the filter is but it does look thin?

It should clear soon. Some major water changes would help. You can do 75% changes without any worrys as long as your filter is well established.

Okay well I did like a 40% change and it looks ALOT better. I'll add the sand tomorrow.

Is it recommended to take out the fish before putting in the sand?

Okay well I did like a 40% change and it looks ALOT better. I'll add the sand tomorrow.

Is it recommended to take out the fish before putting in the sand?

It normally is because sand can drop the temperature of your tank very quickly which is not a good thing.

If you only put a small amount in each day you could keep the fish in.

Okay. And should I leave the heater on after the sand is in for a couple of hours. Without returning the fish?

I added sand without removing the fish, filter or heater. I turner the filter off. If you are worried about temp (i woudnt be) you just rinse in in warm water. Just use a cup of some sort and scoop the sand, slowly put it to the bottom of the tank and slowly dump it. I did a 65g and 20g this way with minimal cloudiness and no problems.

Thank you. I do a 30% water change weekly though. I must have done a terrible job:/ ha.

As for the filter. I have the marine land bio filter so I'm not sure how the padding of the filter is but it does look thin?

you can put the padding in between the hard black plastic part of the filter inserts and the front (against the aquarium) wall of the filter. I'm running a marineland 350B on my 55 gal as a second filter and the padding really works to polish the water. Just make sure you get non-fire retardant padding. I got a big (32 oz) bag of it at JoAnn fabrics for $4.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom