My water return blows my agarmax sand around

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
yes, this is definentally a noob question. I have the mag 9.5 bringing the water back into my tank from the sump. I'm having problems keeping it from blowing sand up on the floor and making huge piles with the sand at one end of the tank. I was told that as bacteria grows more, the sand will settle better and not move. Well, i'm 3 weeks into the cycle, 1.5 weeks after adding sand, and it's still getting blown around. I hope i'm just being impatient and that it'll settle eventually.

I've slowed the flow down from my mag 9 with the ball valve i installed in the return piping. Question is, will this damage my mag pump at all, that is slowing down the flow and causeing more back pressure on the pump's motor?

I've also tried angleing the return nozzle so that it aimed closer to the opposite top corner of the tank so that the water jetting out of the nozzle has a ways to travel and slow down before hitting the side wall. Still, after both closing the ball valve a bit, and angleing the nozzle, the sand still moves around.

I'm having the same problem I have a 75 AGA RR with the megaflow wet/dry (bioballs removed). I have a mag 9.5 for the return. In the right hand corner, I have a Tunze 6060 Stream. In the other corner, I have a Seio 620. Both are aimed to the front center. The problem i have is the Mag 9.5 is clearing the sand out of one corner and the Tunze is clearing out the sand for about a foot in front of the tank. I ordered some loc-line to to tee off the return from the Mag 9.5 to see if that helps. I also ordered some live rock and will us some of that to deflect the flow. I hope it works.

i just got some base rock in from hirocks.com. Nice rock btw. I now have the return nozzle aimed at the top of one of the rocks, and it deflects the flow well. I turned the ball valve all the way open and the sand doesn't move. Problem solved.

What temp is your tank? My tank is about 83 without the heater. Does your Mag 9.5 give off a lot of heat? I took the glass off of the top of the tank and will probably get some eggcrate to fit on the top.

This is perfectly normal. Patience is the key. My 125 with 300# of sand took about 3 weeks to clear up. Now I can create a sandstorm (power head that falls down) and have it clear in an hour. A handfull will clear in minutes.

How are you cycling? Cocktail shrimp? LR?

I'm cycling with live rock. I just got it in on Saturday. The sand shifts aren't as bad.

i'm cycling with damsals...i know i know...but i really didn't have a choice. It was either that or they go in the toilet.

Another option on the return pump is have it go to a spray bar that runs the length of the tank. It gives great circulation over the tank and doesn't aim all the pressure down in one spot.

My canister filter came with a spray bar and I'm loving it!

Regular pvc will work.. trill TINY holes in the tube about every 3 inches or so

datone You have the answer to the problem. locline will do the trick. Get the 3" flare nozzle for the ends and you will not have a problem. I have a 8000gph closed loop with 8 locline returns and I have never had a problem. And to answer your other question about the mag pumps. Yes they put off a lot of heat. I use 2 mag 12's to mix my sw in 40 gal tubs One mag 12 will heat 40 gallons from 55-60 degrees to 80 over night.

Back
Top Bottom