mysterious betta death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rinzy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had this betta for a few months and he was doing great.

img_1412599_0_6129e819f7d5ccfc009fd9d0cc6a1576.jpg

All my water parameters were fine - ph 6.8, ammonia/nitrites/nitrates - 0 temp 78f. I had him in a 3 gallon tank with heater and filter. One morning I woke up and he had some discoloration on his tail - almost looked like burnt paper.

img_1412599_1_d4de8b2b3cea46613d32cd14972351a4.jpg

img_1412599_2_93211c9da8e744cc052fb1d303eb106f.jpg

so I took some pictures and showed the guy at the fish store - he had never seen anything like it. I asked on a betta forum and they also had never seen anything like it either. - 7 hours after taking the first pictures - he looked like this

img_1412599_3_78f66dd833584e48d97a8c1e28531cfb.jpg

img_1412599_4_9ccea8f4a9515c25ed4ef661e72d1c68.jpg

and by the next morning, his tail was completely grey and shredded and he had died. It was so fast spreading - and no one knew what it was so I didn't want to go treating him for the wrong thing. Just wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like that or know what that was. I'd like to be able to prevent that from happening if possible.

Oh, wow.

A couple times people have mentioned here that fish can get burned by the heater, if they lean against it. Maybe something like that?

That's crazy though... sorry for your loss. :(

Yeah, I thought that may be what happened but it spread so fast and he never really hung out by the heater

Just a thought since this is what I would do since no one seems to know what the disease was. If you still have the carcass, (or at the very least the pictures), bring it to a local veterinarian school if you have one. Someone might be able to identify it there, and if you don't have a local school, search online for one. I know Auburn University has an excellent veterinarian school, and if you contact someone in the aquatics department they might be able to identify the problem. If nothing else, they might be able to suggest someone with whom you can talk.

...when in doubt go to people with advanced degrees on the subject!

How was he acting since you noticed until he died? I really can't offer you any help, I'm just curious.

Sorry for your loss.

shynepo3 said:
How was he acting since you noticed until he died? I really can't offer you any help, I'm just curious.

Sorry for your loss.

He was fine, swimming around, eating ect. Then the day all this happened he just layed on the bottom, he would still swim up to eat but went back to his spot on the bottom afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom