Mystery fish! Who am I?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobrummel

Aquarium Advice Regular
I went to the LFS and bought these guys because they were the right size to distract my Lemon Tetras from my Cardinals, but the sales person didn't know what kind of tetra they were. Apparently, they came as stragglers from another order of Rummy Nose or other tetra species.

Can anyone tell me their names?
Thanks!

P.s. Having a bit of a challenge attaching pics (or at least multiple pics). Here is one with both fish. I have a better pic of the one with the black spot if it is needed!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 134
Diamond tetras in the back and a buenos aires tetra in the front?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

More pics!

Here is another pic.

Edited to add that these fish are more "rummy nose" shaped vs. "Lemon tetra" shaped if that helps!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
It looks very similar to Hemigrammus hyanuary

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are you thinking that both fish are the same! I only ask because the one with the dot is probably 2-ish" and the others are 1.25". Could be a lot older, I guess.

The other smaller ones have little to no dot.
Thanks!

Yet another pic.

Sorry, I'm sending these all separate! I can't figure out how to attach multiple pics:(

This one is an ether pic of the smaller, no dot fish:)
Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 102
I'd say black neon tetra but there's not enough silver in the flanks maybe a columbian.

I see what looks like a rummynose in the bottom right, but it's hard to really say what they are aside from a Hemigrammus species until they settle in.

I see what looks like a rummynose in the bottom right, but it's hard to really say what they are aside from a Hemigrammus species until they settle in.

I do have 3 Rummynose, but all the other rummynose are "true" rummynose that have the small reddish heads and the distinctive tails.

I'm not sure if that nose in the bottom right is a rummynose or another of my no-named fish:)

I think that the one with the black dot, does look like the January/Costello tetra that you suggested. I'm not sure if the others are also the same but juveniles or if they are another kind since they have either very faint small black dots or no dots.

Maybe I'll wait a bit for them to settle in and see how they change/grow.
Thanks!

Sorry looking at it better now that I'm awake more...I can see that there are two tetra species. The tetra at the back in the first and third to me is a black neon. Looks like my black neons, red mark above eye, silver and blue marking on sides.

Sorry looking at it better now that I'm awake more...I can see that there are two tetra species. The tetra at the back in the first and third to me is a black neon. Looks like my black neons, red mark above eye, silver and blue marking on sides.

I'm not so sure, but they could always develop the black band under the lateral line when they settle in. BTW a lot of tetra species have red coloring in the upper portion of the eye.

I'm not so sure, but they could always develop the black band under the lateral line when they settle in. BTW a lot of tetra species have red coloring in the upper portion of the eye.

That is true about the red eye. It was just the first thing I noticed different between the two.

What other possibilities do you think if not black neon?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom