Mystery illness in hatchet fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jerrythefish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have recently added (4 weeks ago), 2 more hatchet fish to my existing 3 in my 37 gal tank. The nitrates and nitrates are both perfect, the PH is a little low (6-6.5). I have 1 jurapari, 1 bristlenose plecostamus, 5 cory cats, 2 nerrite snails and 5 Buenos Aires Tetras besides the 5 hatchet fish. the 2 that I got recently both seem to have gotten this weird growth on their tails, and one of them is getting a small one on it's fin. I regret to say that I did not QT them when I got them, although it appears that nothing else in the tank is sick. I have these 2 QT'd in a 3 gal tank, and ran 2 doses of Furan 2, but it did nothing at all except turn the water blue. Today I started Kanaplex. I had done roughly 30% water changes between the doses of Furan 2 and did another 1 today at about 50% before I added the Kanaplex. I am attaching pics although it's still hard to actually see the growths. They're very bulbous. The big one on one of them has red in it too and seems to may be getting bigger (?) They both seem fine---eating and swimming around like nothing is wrong. Thank you for any input...

Attachments

• hatchetfish1.jpg
    hatchetfish1.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 46
  • hatchetfish2.jpg
    hatchetfish2.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 44
Since the antbiotics seem to be ineffective maybe the problem is just a fungus attached to damaged tissue. The red coloration imbedded in the growth is troubling. There's an outside chance the problem could be viral Septicemia. Be sure to research and see if that applies in you're case. Might be a good idea just to keep the Hatchets in QT and medicate with a disinfectant med like Melafix.

Thank you so much! This morning it seems like part of the big growth has fallen off (?) I will keep them in QT and do the Melafix treatment.

You could try adding a tablespoon of salt per 5 gallon (start at a teaspoon and increase each night). Two tablespoons per 5 gallon would be better but see how they go. This will help in general / if a parasite trigger. Totally agree the redness is concerning.

Thank you for your reply. The redness seems to be gone but the growth looks kind of like dead flesh. It's not getting worse, maybe a bit better (or maybe that's wishful thinking). I will keep them in QT and trying these different treatments. I'll keep you posted!

Back
Top Bottom