Mystery of dissapearing fish?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkdubs2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
K so I can't find one of my gouramis. Looked everywhere except filter. Any idea? Could he have been eaten that quickly if he died? I just saw him 3 hours ago.

Have you checked on the floor around the tank? Are there any decorations he could have gotten stuck in that you didn't look at by accident?

Thought I looked everywhere but I'll check a few smaller wholes to see. But idk if he can fit in any.

I've had fish disappear too. Sometimes they show up out of nowhere, sometimes they don't. Hopefully he's just found a really good hiding spot. Did he seem healthy the last time you saw him?

Ya really healthy swimming in the currents and everything. This is frustrating. I have spent an hour looking.

I'm sure he'll show up soon. Maybe if you stop looking so hard, he'll show up. Kinda like how you can't see the ketchup bottle right in front of you because you're looking too hard.

This happens to me when I look for my frogs. I look all over their tank and all along they're right in front of my face somewhere, or hanging upside down on the underside of a leaf.

Well I'm officially giving up. I have had two feeding times since I lost the 3inch fish and have tore apart both of my filters and the tank (55g) and have not found the fish. I have also tore up the whole surrounding area and have had no luck. This sucks cuz I just bought the fish and didn't even get the chance to enjoy her (said he earlier but it was female). If she died or something do u think the other fish could have eaten her that fast? Or the two snails? Two other gouramis male and female and 6 red glass barbs, rubber lipped pleco are the others.

It is possible that the snails ate her. I have two apple snails in one of my tanks, and if you don't notice a dead fish soon enough, they make quick work of it.

It's very dissapointing cuz the fish was alive and healthy and two hours later it was gone. Makes zero sense to me. Spontaneous combustion I guess. I have two gold inca snails. Also random snails that came in on plants I guess.

It's always sad when you lose a fish, and absolutely frustrating when you can't figure out what the problem was.

jkdubs2 said:
K so I can't find one of my gouramis. Looked everywhere except filter. Any idea? Could he have been eaten that quickly if he died? I just saw him 3 hours ago.

My place disappeared once made me really orritated till I poured the filter water from my HOB filter in a pot and heard ker-plunk! What I can't figure out it how? Why? And WHY? if he was trying to escape I would love to have heard his next move :lololol: but that was almost 2years ago now he is "ZUES!" a 11" monster of a place in a thirty gallon tank :) ah the happy ness of fish-parenthood :D

I had a in disappear once... I dint find it until I old the aquarium... He must've jumped out and dried up behind the tank... Hope you have better luck than I did

I honestly don't know much about gouramis but are they Jumpers?...I just Lost a Danios yesterday it must have happened during the PWC...same deal. Although I have Cats so If my jumped ,it became a after dinner snack for one of them.

Pton46 said:
I honestly don't know much about gouramis but are they Jumpers?...I just Lost a Danios yesterday it must have happened during the PWC...same deal. Although I have Cats so If my jumped ,it became a after dinner snack for one of them.

Gouramis are definitely jumpers, I've had them commit suicide before. It teaches you to have a cover on your tanks at all times really quickly. I ended up having to Saran wrap all the large holes that the glass and the HOB filter left after a couple more escapees. Sad and never fun. I stay away from gouramis now, too much heartbreak.

The only place the gourami could have jumped from is a 5x6 hole for the soon to be turtle and there is only about 4 inches of water in that's spot to jump from for a three inch fish it would be hard to do. Idk it's very disappointing tho fo sho.

Back
Top Bottom