Mystery Snail Mashup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADsnail

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,
I've just joined but have been reading for months to find great advice. I have a happy Betta~no problems there.

My question is about Mystery snails. I've had two for about six months, very compatible. One got very big and, I suspect, old, and he died a few weeks ago. The gold one has been alone since then.

Today I got a magenta Mystery snail. Immediately Goldy ran him/her down, turned magenta on its back, and has been wrapped around and in magenta's slammed-shut face for 3 hours. I separated them. Goldy drove back at top speed and flipped magenta on its back, assuming the same position. It's now been four hours and the poor new snail has yet to emerge and look around.

Since Mysteries supposedly don't fight I'm assuming this is love at first sight, but A.) How long can the new snail be on its back like this? and B.) When and how to separate them again until magenta has a chance to get acclimated? Thank you for your help!

Not fighting :brows: It could have been a bit overwhelming for the Magenta, but likely not a real problem.

It can take the new snail a little time to get used to new water in new environment.

You could take a plastic clear cup and lid like a starbucks cold cup and melt or hole punch a bunch of holes for flow and put the Golden in a time out. Hang the cup in the tank for a day or 2. I'd open and switch water for new tank water in the morning and evening. You could use something else you dream up. Just the general idea of something to give the new one a break.

So glad you joined in!

New Mystery Snail

Thanks for your reply!

Goldy the Mystery snail finally gave it up in the middle of that night and continued on, checking on the new magenta once or twice a day.

It's been 45 hours since he arrived and he has not yet emerged from his shell. He stays on his back - I've righted him countless times and he flips back. I've even caught him doing it, so it's not the low-flow current I maintain for the Betta. I'm worried he won't survive if he stays on his back. And, how long can he stay slammed in there before giving up the ghost?

Apparently someone else is worried too: the baby magenta that arrived with him, and is doing laps around the tank, is in his face checking on him. I'm trying to attach a picture of this but the instructions on how to do it with this site don't seem to match how my computer works. Hope I did it and just don't see it yet :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0483.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 16
Back
Top Bottom