Mystery snail not acting right.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afink1

Aquarium Advice Activist
My mystery snail Salt is always very energentic and goofy. She is constantly roaming her tank. A couple weeks ago she began to slow down. Also around that time a large group of mystery snail eggs were laid. She is still moving around some and is still eating but just not herself. Missing my old Salt. Any ideas of how I can help her? All the other snails are acting just fine. She just sits curled half way out. Attached pic of Salt with a TUM beside her. IMG_20180326_044439475.jpg

Hi, welcome - all I can think of would be to check tank water chemistry is still fine and tap water hasn’t changed. Sometimes if tap water changes, the largest / oldest may have issues first. Else just wondering if old age possible?

All my water levels are good. And I'm not sure on her age. She definitely has more than doubled in size since we got her like 6 months ago.

Hi, welcome - all I can think of would be to check tank water chemistry is still fine and tap water hasn’t changed. Sometimes if tap water changes, the largest / oldest may have issues first. Else just wondering if old age possible?
All my water levels are good. And I'm not sure on her age. She definitely has more than doubled in size since we got her like 6 months ago. I try giving my snails extra calcium but none of them seem interested in it.

Do you have other snails in the tank? If so how are they doing? I just lost a very large snail pretty sure it was old age as my other snails are thriving.

Do you have other snails in the tank? If so how are they doing? I just lost a very large snail pretty sure it was old age as my other snails are thriving.
My other snails are doing great. Running all over the tank and one even chases the mollies. Salt is about the size of a silver dollar. How can u tell age?

Ok so I got home and Brownie (another mystery snail) is now on Salt? Am I interrupting? Lol. I feel like Salt wouldn't have the energy for that. IMG_20180328_180814690.jpg

Salt is the lighter colored one

My snails are always mating and it wasn't long after "Gary" lol grabbed Big Blue then Big Blue died shortly after. I had just gotten Big Blue maybe 2 weeks before so I can't say for sure it was old age. One night I saw my gourami's eating something white turns out they were having a fine dinner with escargot. :eek:
I have read they only live about a year.

Mystery snails

If the snail is still moving a little and still eating a little, it could certainly be slowing from old age. One thing I would suggest is that you try disturbing Salt to see if she completely retreats into her shell and closing the little trap door as I call it. If she can only retreat part way, there are 2 possibilities that come to mind. One is that somtimes snails actually do overeat...she's simply fat. Her body has grown faster than her shell. The second problem could be swelling from a pathogen. There are not a lot of parasites that bother snails, but it's not impossible. If she can completely close herself up, then the age thing may certainly be the case.

After egg laying my snails are exhausted. They may lay around for a few day then snap back. But their lifespan is short. And if the snail was a good size when you got it was half over.

Nice read above - learning things all the time.
Thanks for the compliment. I'm a retired Chemist now, but I have had 30 years of experience as an aquarium hobbyist. And even now I learn new and better information to make my hobby more enjoyable and easier to care for.

I sadly lost Salt. ☹️. She was a good little snail. But on the plus side. I have 10 of her babies. ❤️

I sadly lost Salt. [emoji852]️. She was a good little snail. But on the plus side. I have 10 of her babies. [emoji173]️
I'm sorry to hear about Salt. But it's great that life goes on. You are very fortunate to have her children to enjoy and care for. Good luck with them. Now you have to learn how to tell them apart (difficult) and come up with 10 more names.

I'm sorry to hear about Salt. But it's great that life goes on. You are very fortunate to have her children to enjoy and care for. Good luck with them. Now you have to learn how to tell them apart (difficult) and come up with 10 more names.
Yes Salt will be missed. I printed out a pic of her to put in a frame for our living room. (Lol obsessed snail mom) and we are already trying to find differences. However they are tiny right now. IMG_20180218_204028_257.jpg

Yes Salt will be missed. I printed out a pic of her to put in a frame for our living room. (Lol obsessed snail mom) and we are already trying to find differences. However they are tiny right now. View attachment 308336
She looks just like an apple snail that I inherited in a used tank I bought. A roommate convinced me to let him buy 2 Oscars for the tank. They picked at him so much that he retreated into his shell permanently and starved himself to death. I even put him in my small betta tank to try and save him. But he was so stressed by the Oscars repeatedly that he just wouldn't open up again.

Back
Top Bottom