mystery snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I just noticed that I have a snail hitchiker. Not sure if I should keep it or get rid of it. It's still really tiny. I have a planted tank so I know where is came from I just don't know if I leave it there am I just setting myself up for years of picking snails out of the tank?

If you leave it , they're going to breed and spread everywhere so just get rid of it. Last time I left a snail in the tank couple month and there was a whole bunch in my filter. After cleaning it more come again so if I was you just get rid of the snail. It's probley a pond snail

That's what I was thinking. It went running down the side of the tank and I couldn't get him out. But i did smush it trying to get it out at the very least its dead

If it is a pond snail, bladder snail or ramshorn, it is likely to be reproducing fast. They are all hermphrodites that can lay eggs, and do, without a mate being needed. You may well see more if it laid eggs, suddenly a bunch of tiny ones will show up.

They are good clean up crew. But I usually pick out bladder snails I see, to keep their numbers down, as they can kind of take over if food is plentiful and conditions favour them. I don't think I've ever seen an actual pond snail in my tanks, but the small dark coloured bladder snails show up regularly.

I toss some of them into my critter culture tank where I am trying to grow sufficient numbers of ostracods, daphnia and other small life to use for fish food, as they seem to help keep the cultures going.

Back
Top Bottom