Mystery Snails Always Dying??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaffooJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello! I have had some mystery snails in my tank before, and i couldn't quite figure out why they kept dying. The max i had one was probably 2-3 months, and then a foul odor came. Some even died within a week. I wanted to get some new ones, but first want to know if my tank is suitable. I have a 55 gallon tank with a black moor, ryukin, and a lion head. I change the water about every weekend with a gravel vacuum, and there are a few live plants in the tank. I don't use any chemicals except for dechlorinator. I would normally let the previous snails munch on pellets if they came to the top, but do i need a special food? I would really appreciate any help!! :thanks: :fish2:

Edit: I also have a bubbler, which was not there when I previously owned snails, if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Try feeding them algae waffers. Are the snails your picking at the LFS active and out of their shell? How many have you went through? Have you tested your water?

I usually go for the snail that's moving when i buy one, and have gone through 5 of them. I have a water testing kit that i use. Thanks for the reply!!!

Hello! I have had some mystery snails in my tank before, and i couldn't quite figure out why they kept dying. The max i had one was probably 2-3 months, and then a foul odor came. Some even died within a week. I wanted to get some new ones, but first want to know if my tank is suitable. I have a 55 gallon tank with a black moor, ryukin, and a lion head. I change the water about every weekend with a gravel vacuum, and there are a few live plants in the tank. I don't use any chemicals except for dechlorinator. I would normally let the previous snails munch on pellets if they came to the top, but do i need a special food? I would really appreciate any help!! :thanks: :fish2:

Edit: I also have a bubbler, which was not there when I previously owned snails, if that makes a difference.

How do you know the snail dead. I know a lot of people that think the snail is dead just because it's not active. Try smelling the snail and if it smells like rotting crap than you know it's dead. Also you can tell if the snail is hanging loosely out of its shell. Just touch the body and if it and if it doesn't move it's probably dead. Your black moor (goldfish?) is probably killing them. Most cold water species eat meat so it would be no surprise to me if that was the case. Another thing it could be is mystery snails are tropical and require warmer waters around 75 degrees F.

They all were hanging out of their shell, and smelt horrible. Temperature is probably the problem. I keep my tank at 68-70 degrees F, so i guess i just wont have snails. :(

What are your nitrate readings? Snails like them low, under 20. How about GH and KH? What is your tank PH? You need a PH of around 7, higher is better. I do not think the cold water is the problem. I have kept and raised them in buckets of water that was unheated and no filter in a cold room. Never had them die because of low temps. Fish can stress them to death. A fish can make it impossible for the snail to eat or move around if it is constantly picking at them. Have you ever used medicines with Copper in them? Copper seeps into the silicon seals and can be released for years. You can test this with a copper testing kit. API has one. Snails are pros at getting food and I doubt they started. I would suspect water problems. Snails can be very sensitive. Have your tried another snail like Nerites, ramshorns, or Malaysian Trumpet snails? The only way to know a mystery snail is dead for sure is if it is hanging out of it's shell not moving. Touch it and if it doesn't react then it is dead.

Back
Top Bottom