Mystery Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrConnie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Golden Mystery Snail (named Gary) and he's the coolest little guy to watch. I have a couple questions though...

What do they eat? I'd love to give him some treats that won't disrupt the environment.

I've been leary of getting another snail for fear of dealing with over population. If I were to get another color Mystery Snail, are they able to mate? Or is there a way to tell the difference between male & female?

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Yes they can mate, love the Name Gary btw I assume it's from spongebob lol

LOL Yes, Gary is from Spongebob...I have a 9 year old daughter who was thrilled that I let her name it :)

So the golden ones can mate with other colors of Mysteries?

DrConnie said:
LOL Yes, Gary is from Spongebob...I have a 9 year old daughter who was thrilled that I let her name it :)

Yep, I had one that came pregnant once, they also are not as invasive as the other kinds of snails and when they are little you will love them to death lol, I used to watch mine all they time and write speeding tickets in my mind to em if they were hauling across the tank lol, my last one had hoke n the shell and I tried to save her but couldn't but she had babies that I still have today in multiple tanks. Her name was Ralph because thought was a guy but when seen baby ralphs had to change it to ralphette lol, before she died (thanks to chain petstores mistreatment of animals) I was going to get anotherone and call it Gary :)

Yep, I had one that came pregnant once, they also are not as invasive as the other kinds of snails and when they are little you will love them to death lol, I used to watch mine all they time and write speeding tickets in my mind to em if they were hauling across the tank lol, my last one had hoke n the shell and I tried to save her but couldn't but she had babies that I still have today in multiple tanks. Her name was Ralph because thought was a guy but when seen baby ralphs had to change it to ralphette lol, before she died (thanks to chain petstores mistreatment of animals) I was going to get anotherone and call it Gary :)

They are pretty easy to control population wise, correct? From what I understand, if you remove the eggs from above the water line & dispose of them you're all set, right?
I'd like to get one or two more cause they are so much fun to watch! I watched Gary today climb up a length of fishing line to a plastic diver and he sat on his face for about 15 minutes before crawling down the length of the diver's body, and then just dropped off the end. Very entertaining!

Trying to figure out how to post a picture, but apparently I have to be just a tad smarter to do this :blink:

223008_1844895933003_1558774905_1455143_5262727_n.jpg

Haha very nice, good looking snail by the way, yeh removing eggs will defiantly help but not a guaranteed solution, things such as "snail traps" if you get any babies in the future will help, there's also loaches, I believe assassin snails (they could be saltwater can't remember), alot of times I used to grow them out a bit bigger and give to friends or local fish stores, they dint seem to run rampid through tanks like other kinds of snails, basically there is more then one option, everything from killing them or using as live food, to keeping them and loving them, they grow at a "snails" pace (pun intended) so they won't jump out of no where and surprise you. Quite alot of babies can be kept in a small aquarium. Just watch them from getting out of the tank if you want to keep them, they are escape artists at very least lol, an airline tubing through an open hole is like snail highway :p

Great info there, thank you again :) I'll definitely keep all that in mind.
And yes, I think Gary is a pretty good looking snail too!

I'll be sure to hit you up for more advice as issues & questions arise.

DrConnie said:
Great info there, thank you again :) I'll definitely keep all that in mind.
And yes, I think Gary is a pretty good looking snail too!

I'll be sure to hit you up for more advice as issues & questions arise.

Almighty then glad I could help

DrConnie said:

I named mine Gary and Larry but Larry just died :((

I fed mine an algae wafer. Seemed
To like it

Lol lol that pic is hilarious to me for
Some reason.

I named mine Gary and Larry but Larry just died :((

I fed mine an algae wafer. Seemed
To like it

Oh Flossie, I'm sorry to hear about Larry :ermm:
Are the algae wafers a once in a while kind of thing? I'm so scared to introduce algae into the tank. I think it's a psychological thing- equating algae with a dirty tank.

DrConnie said:
Oh Flossie, I'm sorry to hear about Larry :ermm:
Are the algae wafers a once in a while kind of thing? I'm so scared to introduce algae into the tank. I think it's a psychological thing- equating algae with a dirty tank.

I just feed the snail sparingly bc there is some sort of algae or build up in my tank that he loves lol idk why lady died hopefully it wasn't a lack of food. This is my first time having mystery snails so idk.
I threw in an algae wafer last night and the snail just crawled right on top. Lol my goldfish was mad cause he couldnt get
To it haha.

Algae wafers won't hurt your tank as long as it's not left over to rot. I feed my pleco an algae wafer every other night. All my cichlids and goldfish eat it as well... Haha no leftovers for us

dollabill420 said:
Worst thing on earth to have a snail die man, they are so funny I still miss mine to this day

I had two ... Idk what happened. I picked up the shell and he fell out and the goldfish thought it was lunch - puke- it was gross and stinky

Back
Top Bottom