n00b asks stocking question (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diogenes

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just setup a new tank. It's currently cycling. I have been doing some serious research and I would appreciate some advice. Here's the tank:

img_901140_0_f4c31a28ce5e4d61637cb273c8c0a72b.jpg

img_901140_1_4bcad4e47d48a645c0dce7741254b0ae.jpg

img_901140_2_3fcb837a425cd53eb1f438f1025747fb.jpg

It's 37 gallons and measures 30.25in x 12.5 in x 22.75in. I've been trying to determine what kind, and how many fish I can put in here. I've tried getting advice on the web and much of it has been conflicting. I did some calculation.

using the formula 1 inch of fish for every 12 inches of surface area (30.25x12.5) / (12) = 31.5 (rounded) inches. I then averaged that with the amount of gallons in the tank using the formula 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon of water (31.5 +37) / (2) = 34.25. So I figure I can put that many inches of adult fish in the aquarium. I get conflicting reports for the max size of fish.

I would like to do cichlids of some type. I was thinking maybe a couple of male fire mouths, a male blue acara, and a green severum, and a smaller pleco (or some other algae eater.) I was also considering doing an angelfish tank. Any suggestions?

Also I used some superbac to hasten the N2 cycle. ANybody ever used this?

What should I put in there? Thanks in advance.

*GOLDFISH*

-C

Two angelfish would be great. Be careful that you don't get a common pleco it would get way to big for that tank. So make sure it is a pleco that well stay small.
I don't know anything about the other fish you mentioned except to say I think your tank would be to crowded if you got all of them.

well, 2 angel fish would be pushing it. the need some space to swim around, adult specimens can get over 6" in my experience...and a 37 would be barely room for one.

same with the cichlids. maybe someone can correct me, but those are big fish you are talking about.

see, the inch per gallon rule does have its flaws...you can really put a 10" fish in a 10 gallon and expect it to be happy.

now, as far as the pleco, thats fine, there are lots of small varieties readily available, like the bristlenose pleco for example.

as far as stocking that tank, its a very tall tank...very hard to make look good and even harder to find fish to hang out in all places of the aquarium.

my suggestion is a M/F pair of gourami. dwarf varieties are neat, however, many in fish stores have a genetic disease and die soon after purchase. better to go with a smaller variety of them other than the dwarfs, unless you can vouch for the breeder.

the smaller gouramis get about 4" and will require less swimming space than the angels, they also are less messy and less likely to snack on other fish in the tank.

you would then have room to get a small school of tetras as well. tetras arent too messy and dont poo alot, a small school of cardinals or lemons ect to hang out at the middle, the gouramis stay at the top most of the time, and when the pleco isnt on the glass it will most likely be on the gravel or rocks near the bottom of the tank.

angels are definately doable...but if it was me i would skip em.

i think a pair of angels and some tetras will be good, keep in mind, alot of angelfish breeders keep up to 2 pairs in 20g talls, i keep a pair in my 20 tall whenever i want to make sure i save their fry. there are plenty of dwarf cichlids you can get also. imo as long as you have sufficent filtration & aeration, 1 pair of angelfish, 5-9 tetras 1 bristlenose dwarf pleco, you could even be able to get away with a pair of apistos. do a google search of dwarf cichlids, you'll see there are plenty of colorfull options for you.

*-* i personally havent had any luck with dwarf gourami's. other commonly found gourami's in stores ie opaline, pearl, three-spot, blue, gold all get about 4-6 inches, about as big as an angelfish. You most probably want to buy all your fish as juvi's and not older fish so your going to have anywhere from 1-2 years before those fish get big enough to justify an upgrade. i have a pair of angelfish in my 125gal that ive had since there were 2 inches, after 4 years there are 6"+, they started in a 20gal, then moved to a 30 long, then to a 29gal, then a 55gal then finally in my 125.

Last edited:
WELCOME :n00b:
The height being greater than the width will also decrease the amount of fish due to less surface area for oxygen exchange. The "rules" for fish per inch/surface area do not take into account aggression. You could put 30 docile 1" fish in there, but that does not sound like what you want.

There are cichlids of all shapes and sizes. Those four South American cichlids would not work in this tank at the same time. For many cichlids, you will need to change the decor and add more hiding places, unless you had only one pair. Read over the sticky in the cichlid discussion forum for more help.

I have never used superbac. What are you using for an ammonia source?

WELCOME :n00b:
The height being greater than the width will also decrease the amount of fish due to less surface area for oxygen exchange. The "rules" for fish per inch/surface area do not take into account aggression. You could put 30 docile 1" fish in there, but that does not sound like what you want.

There are cichlids of all shapes and sizes. Those four South American cichlids would not work in this tank at the same time. For many cichlids, you will need to change the decor and add more hiding places, unless you had only one pair. Read over the sticky in the cichlid discussion forum for more help.

I have never used superbac. What are you using for an ammonia source?

fish poop. I started the cycle with fish (3 swordtails) due to the advice of some LFS guys. I might have done it differently now. Oh well... :oops:

ok. after much research and considering the dimensions of my tank, I've decided that one of the following might be appropriate:

1 pair of medium cichlids- blue acara, firemouths, salvini, severums....

or

4-5 swordtails
1 pair of angels- I really like the altums. How are they for a first fish?
1 small school of cory cats

Thoughts?

fish poop. I started the cycle with fish (3 swordtails) due to the advice of some LFS guys. I might have done it differently now. Oh well... :oops:
Sorry, missed that part! Not to worry, everyone's gotta start somewhere!
I've had an acara and they are lovely--that would be my choice! I do love the larger cichlids, oh...and the smaller ones too!

Sorry, missed that part! Not to worry, everyone's gotta start somewhere!
I've had an acara and they are lovely--that would be my choice! I do love the larger cichlids, oh...and the smaller ones too!

you think a pair of acaras would be comfy in this tank?

They could do just fine. From what I recall, they are not very aggressive, but can hold their own if needed. Mine used to play with shells that were in the tank. He would pick them up and swim about. He was one of my favorite fish--not only was he gorgeous, but his behavior was wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom