Name of fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

antonis11

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can anyone please tell me the name of the yellow fish in the pic?

Attachments

• IMG_1419.jpg
    IMG_1419.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 77
Gold Algae Eater!
This guy looks cool, i hope to find one today in the LPS!!
cfsm-gold.jpg

Golden Chinese Algae Eater. These get big and MEAN !!! Beware CAEs of any color only eat algae as babies. They tend to eat the body slime of other fish as they get bigger. I've seen a Gold CAE 8" long and thick body. He was given away after killing all his tankmates.

These get up to 10" and need large tanks with fast fish.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/algeater.htm

Otos, while more sensitive, are a much better choice. Or look at Albino Bristle Nose Plecos if you like the color. BN Plecos stay small. And can usually be ok in planted tanks.

I used to work at Petsmart. Our CAEs were in with Mollies. If I didn't keep the CAEs super well fed I'd find dead Mollies, with CAEs on them next morning. Yes, they are scavengers, but more Mollies died in CAE tanks than other tanks.

It's a fish that I don't think should be sold as a Community Fish !!!!

Golden Chinese Algae Eater. These get big and MEAN !!! Beware CAEs of any color only eat algae as babies. They tend to eat the body slime of other fish as they get bigger. I've seen a Gold CAE 8" long and thick body. He was given away after killing all his tankmates.

Algae eater / sucking loach - Gyrinocheilus aymonieri, with pictures / photos

I had a CAE for over 3 years, with gouramis, clown loachs, angels, cichlids, and many other kinds of fish all sorts of sizes and personalities. It never bothered any fish other then nipping at them to keep them away. NEVER responsible for any deaths, and grew to only about 3 inchs and never stoped eating algae. Thats just me experience with them.

Algae eater / sucking loach - Gyrinocheilus aymonieri, with pictures / photos

This is what happens if you don't do proper research first. I bought 2 of them from my pet shop and I asked if they get big and the owner said no.

I didn't want to buy any plecs because they get very large and I got this instead. I should probably return it then :(.

NYgiantsRP said:
I had a CAE for over 3 years, with gouramis, clown loachs, angels, cichlids, and many other kinds of fish all sorts of sizes and personalities. It never bothered any fish other then nipping at them to keep them away. NEVER responsible for any deaths, and grew to only about 3 inchs and never stoped eating algae. Thats just me experience with them.

I'm glad yours was ok.
They live a lot longer than 3 years. How large a tank ? With Clown Loaches it must have been at least 55g ???

Also Otos and CAEs and Siamese Algae eaters all look alike. CAEs are the bullies (usually).

YMMV.

CAE have an earned reputation for being bullies, harassing fish to death, and for not eating algae when they grow up a bit. While individuals may vary, they are very consistently such in general.

Coursair said:
Otos, while more sensitive, are a much better choice. Or look at Albino Bristle Nose Plecos if you like the color. BN Plecos stay small. And can usually be ok in planted tanks.

I used to work at Petsmart. Our CAEs were in with Mollies. If I didn't keep the CAEs super well fed I'd find dead Mollies, with CAEs on them next morning. Yes, they are scavengers, but more Mollies died in CAE tanks than other tanks.

It's a fish that I don't think should be sold as a Community Fish !!!!

I've seen cae carrying around neon tetra corpses even when small. I have one in my mbuna tank. Although he knows better than to get fresh with the Africans lol

Back
Top Bottom