Name the prettiest MacroAlgae you can think of!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay peeps, the time is coming close to starting my MacroAlgae tank. My goal: Is to make the prettiest MacroAlgae-only tank that can possibly be compared to reefs maybe! (Okay far fetched maybe, but who cares :p ) :twisted: - Anyway please name if possible the prettiest MacroAlgae that you've seen and if at all possible show a pic of it. I want to compile a list of algaes so I can review and start blueprinting my tank and eventually start the selection process. After that I will need to research their needs and the such. Thanks everyone for helping out... I really can't wait to start the fun! Buwahaha... :D

Too late for me to look up pics :D but I have always been partial to halimeda, gracilliaras and shaving brush algae. You might also look into the sea grasses and mangroves.

I'll ditto what Kevin said - Halimeda is very nice looking for a Macro. Gracilaria is a nice deep-red/purple color.

A couple thoughts--

- Calcareous algaes such as Halimeda, Neomeris, and couple others are dependent on calcium for growth, and as such, if not kept relatively small, will deplete a lot of calcium from a system.

- As far as a "macro tank" - be careful with your choices. With refugiums, I have found that there are always some algaes that will "out-compete" others. These are usually caulerpas. In essence, these macros can absorb more nutrients, and grow more quickly than the other macros - leaving little food (and space) for their neighbors.

HTH,

thanks reeflady, I have noticed that from my research and from what people have told me thats why I am only devising a list now, and then will thoroughly research them after I feel a list has been complete before actually sticking anything in the tank :)

I love the suggestions so far, been reading about the nice colors some of these give off (hope they do it for me too!). Keep it coming! I love reading about what people think of certain macroalgaes and their picks :D - I get my LR on wednesday woo hoo! the day draws near.. buwahahaha! :twisted:

Don't know what the technical name is, but I love my red grape:) Here's a pic of it up close and in my 29 gallon nano.....HTH

Back
Top Bottom