Nano cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishtender

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, it has been a while. I have been wanting to try a nano reef. Has anyone got an opinion on the "Nano Cube"? Is this a good start? I am concerned about the light offered, but thought that since the tanks are not deep, the penetration should be efficient. Any pro's and con's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Howard

Are you talking about the 6 and 12 gal cubes offered on drsfostersmith.com? If so I would go with the deluxe 12 gal version with the 48 watts of light. That would give you enough for low to moderate light corals.
lg2298231163p7vf.jpg

I had the 12g nano-cube but traded it to my LFS for some credit after just a few months.
It does look great but...

Was just too small for me, I felt I couldnt keep too much in there without making a light modification.

I had huge evaporation issues also.
Water circulation is poor and you should add a power head

Polyps and shrooms will do ok but I wouldnt put anything else in there.

My LFS had 2 on display that looked amazing. also way over stocked.
but since it's a LFS they worked on the tank as often as needed so it always looked great.

I personaly didnt like the set up for saltwater but to each their own

Good Luck

I have a 12gallon NanoCube and love it. I have some Zoo's, Trumpet Coral, Red Open Brain, Xenia, and a couple Blasto's and everything is doing great!

It is a lot more work than having a bigger tank and you have to stay on top of testing and water changes, one little change can create a big mess!

The lighting is sufficient for most softies and some of the LPS corals, but SPS and Clams are a No No. Check out www.nano-reef.com for a good forum pertaining to Nano's and www.nanotuners.com for some good equipment and upgrade equipment!

I have a JBJ 12gal Nano cube deluxe and am very happy with it. I do recommend adding a second powerhead for added current. I also suggest ditching all of the sponges, bioballs and ceramic rings provided with the unit as "filtration" and replacing it with LR rubble instead. Overall, it is a good unit. The deluxe version will be fine for softies and some LPS corals.

i may start up a nano cube as well, that 12g looks like somethin i might be interested in, does the buying and upgrading ever end??? lol

would 2 clowns be to many fish for a nano 12g nano cube?

It never ends. I just set up my 12 gal jbj nano a month ago...So far I like it...a little algae bloom looks like a large algae bloom though...
I think some will tell you 2 clowns may be too much But I will leave that to the more experienced...
liveaquaria lists true pers as nano fish though!

Many people on nano-reef.com keep 2 Perc. Clowns in their 12 gallons. I wouldn't though ... I know how much my clown likes to swim around and it just doesn't seem like enough space for 2. I have a Strawberry Psuedochromis in mine and he really stands out against the colors that I have in there with the corals!

Back
Top Bottom