Nano fish with betta in 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigroscr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm wanting some advice on nano fish with my betta, right now i have him with 3 corydoras and he does fine and is not super aggressive. Would it be ok to get a few nano fish to put in with him? He likes to play with the cories and I wanted to get some other fish for him to play with that aren't bottom dwellers. If it would work what types of nano fish would be good and not cost too much $ because from what I've looked @ their very expensive! :)

Don't forget that 10 gallons is not all that big and a betta really needs room for all that finnage and to just swim around. I would not add anything further to your tank.

Keep in mind also that the betta doesn't have a problem with the corys because they inhabit a different level of the tank. If he had competition for his own level, he might not be so easygoing.

Really? Wow! thanks for responding but that's not what I wanted to hear darn it! I really wanted to get him some friends! I can't upgrade him to a larger tank my Hubby will have me committed if I get anymore tanks, lol! I'm also working on a 55 g for some convict cichlids! :)

I have a 20g QT/ hospital tank I could maybe switch him too but I need that and don't think a 10g is big enough for a qt/ hospital tank IMO. Then if I do that then it defeats the purpose of nano fish, which is what I wanted for him as tank mates, cause then I would want bigger fish and it never ends. It goes on and on and.................................. :)

No I just can't do it then! When I get this used 55g tank up and running that I've been repairing for some convicts that will put me @ 8 tanks! 7 of them in my house and 1 in my office! Well I'm really disappointed. :-(

It might be an easier pill to swallow if you consider that most bettas don't want friends..... but betta owners want friends..... so, you're doing your fish a favor by not getting more fish! See how easy that was? :ROFLMAO:

LyndaB said:
It might be an easier pill to swallow if you consider that most bettas don't want friends..... but betta owners want friends..... so, you're doing your fish a favor by not getting more fish! See how easy that was? :ROFLMAO:

Yeah! In some ways your right but this betta seems to really ENJOY company unlike my other betta who I've tried tank mates with even cories and is very aggressive! This one actually gets down in the sand and plays with the cories, i think sometimes he thinks he IS a cory! Rofl!!! :)

But you may see the opposite reaction to fish that are "in his space".

It's like your relatives. It's nice to be able to go visit them at their house once in a while, but it's even nicer to be able to escape when you want to. :whistle:

LyndaB said:
But you may see the opposite reaction to fish that are "in his space".

It's like your relatives. It's nice to be able to go visit them at their house once in a while, but it's even nicer to be able to escape when you want to. :whistle:

Lol! Like the in- laws? JK! :) yeah I see your point but I at least wanted to give it a try and if he gets aggressive I would move them (nano fish) to 40 gallon tank. :)

LyndaB said:
Don't forget that 10 gallons is not all that big and a betta really needs room for all that finnage and to just swim around. I would not add anything further to your tank.

Keep in mind also that the betta doesn't have a problem with the corys because they inhabit a different level of the tank. If he had competition for his own level, he might not be so easygoing.

HEY wait a minute! Linda do you even have a betta? Just curious cuz I didn't see one in your profile! Was just wondering if I'm taking advice from someone with experience with bettas? But its all good! You do animal rescues and that's a super cool thing to do! So do I! I also foster animals until we find a permanent home! :)

I have had plenty of bettas in the past. Because they seem to do better in individual tanks, after my last one passed, I moved onto community tanks so that I could have fewer tanks and more fish. I kept males, a female sorority and did breed them as well. Just because you don't see something listed in someone's tank info, doesn't mean they don't have valuable information/advice to offer. :)

My Betta started off "liking" the mollies but since we upgraded to a bigger tank he hates the orange 1 and wont leave it alone!

I think their personalities change so quickly. He doesnt seem to bother the white Molly as I think its a bit big for him to handle or our Danio. I think its luck of the draw with Bettas.

Lynda has gave some cracking advice to me in the past :).

LyndaB said:
I have had plenty of bettas in the past. Because they seem to do better in individual tanks, after my last one passed, I moved onto community tanks so that I could have fewer tanks and more fish. I kept males, a female sorority and did breed them as well. Just because you don't see something listed in someone's tank info, doesn't mean they don't have valuable information/advice to offer. :)

I do appreciate and value your advice Lynda! Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom