NanoJack's Photo Journal 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Week 7 Update:

Diatoms are waning.
I repositioned #1 seiryu to provide better flow from the spray bad. I also added a Azoo Mignon 60 HOB to increase better flow and distribution to the middle foreground. I also removed carbon media from Zoo med filter to increase flow. Photo period is now 7am-2pm instead of 5pm- 12am. I opted for the new schedule so that Ei dosing would be utilized immediately rather than 8 hours later when lights turn on. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398949033.516976.jpgStaurogyne repens is finally growing steadily. Pennywort and HM growing really well. Pogostemon helferi growing really slow. Fauna are all doing well. However, one neon has decided to go solo. Perhaps, the affixation damaged the poor sucker.
Starting to see GSA on side walls. I'm dosing extra phosphates to control that.
Overall, I think the repositioning will benefit the ecosystem. Time will tell.

Week 8

Everything seems to be throttled after dosing PPS dry ferts macs/mics daily along with excel. I have noticed GSA on SR leaves. Dosing extra phosphates and reduced lighting intensity. co2 is at 2 bps 2 hours before lights and hour off before lights out. Temp is at a steady 80f. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399553569.353131.jpg

Is it normal to have pearling within the first hour of lights on? Am I hitting my plants with Klingon Mega photons?

I noticed this several days now. Growth is super.

Is it normal to have pearling within the first hour of lights on? Am I hitting my plants with Klingon Mega photons?

I noticed this several days now. Growth is super.

I think if the conditions are ok then why not??

I know my ludwigia repens pearls very soon after lights on, and thts with my medium light. Just wait until my bml xb arrives to give me serious high light lol

Week 9
So far so good. Still trying to dial in on the po4 to rid GSA. Perhaps, adding mics daily causing po4 to precipitate? Hmm... Will dose mics every other day.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400153548.887255.jpg

What would be the dosing regimen for 4ppm of po4?

Surely its going to be different for every tank? Different amounts of water and plants uptake will vary between tanks. I think monitoring as brookster suggested will give you your dosing regimen.

Tank is certainly looking like its progressed recently. Plant growth looks great

Thanks. To clarify my question, what is the equation? : )

Water can be measured, ferts can be measured, plants however cannot be. just wondering how to determine ppm in not only phosphates but also the other ferts. Haven't understood it yet. how to determine and measure your ppms.

Do you have a phosphate test kit? I use the API liquid kit which allows color matching to ppm's.

Forget my question. There's no magic number. How often do you all test your water? I don't measure nitrates because I've read they're not really harmful to fauna or flora. What's harmful is the lack of oxygen needed to process nitrites into nitrates. The addition of nitrate via fert has no affect to the depletion of oxygen. It's the processing of ammonia to nitrites to nitrates that will deplete o2 in which BB may conversely die off and cause a collapse. That's why we do WC. My understanding....

Back
Top Bottom