Nashville SW setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tnscuba

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been reading, saving money, and visiting fish locations for months now..I have approx. $1000 to spend on everything from tank to fish to etc. I need input and advice. I know i want at least 75 gallons and no more than 125 gallons. Will i be better off buying a tank and kit combo that includes filter, lights, heater...or buy separate? I want a SW fish only tank... Can someone reccomend me name brands of the filter, lights, to buy? A 100gal tank alone in nashville is about $375 @ aquattic critter. Do i really need a canister filter for a 100gallon tank? I do want live sand n clown fish in the tank. Please help me out

Welcome to AA!

There was a thread not too long ago about how much per gallon most people have invested into their tanks. I'm going to say that it was in the 30 to 50 $/g range. I know I probably have about that much invested in my tank, buying everything new, nothing DIY, etc including upgraded lights for corals and 200# of rock (some live some base).

There are definitely ways to do it cheaper but they usually involve either DIY or buying a setup used. SW is pretty expensive. The fish alone could run you a few hundred bucks for a 120g tank.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=44851&start=0
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=43357&start=0

With enough live rock (1.5-2#/g) you won't need additional filtration though a sump or refuge would be an added bonus (LiveRocks.com for 5$/pound shipped to your door). You'll need enough power heads for turnover of 10-20x your tank volume per hour. I have Satellite Dual Current lights and I like them (though I'm upgrading to MH for corals). You can buy some brand of play sand for 3$/bag instead of the 30$/bag at the LFS. You'll want 2 heaters. Get a reef ready tank if you can. Worth the investment by a mile. Tons of salt (2 buckets would be a good starter), garbage can, extra heater, QT tank for new fish, raw shrimp for cycling, protein skimmer... You need 3-5wpg to get an anemone for your clownfish if you're intending to go that route (not recommended until your tank is 6mo-1yr old).

Saltwater is a sick, sick hobby! I myself have spent over $2000 on my tank in the past year alone. That does not include the cost of the tank or stand, because I have had that for years. That is just the lr, ro/di, livestock, skimmer, uv filter, sump and such. I got all my sand from a sand bar out in the ocean... otherwise you would have to tack onto that price about another $100.

I would recommend you read up on how to diy.

I've been searching the net for a second tank, want to go with a 125-gallon this time. I've found it's better to buy a tank combo that includes the tank, stand, and lighting fixture. Then purchase the heater, filter, bulbs, powerheads, etc., seperately since you can find them online cheaper. The tank/stand/hood prices at my lfs can't be beat, but everything else is cheaper online.

Heck, my lfs sold me a Rena Filstar XP3, but they don't even carry the replacement media for it, have to buy that online.

btw, I'm not too far from ya, I'm in Florence, Al, though I lived in Clarksville for over 10 years. Used to work in Nashville.

Good luck!

WOW i did not know SW was that complex. I really am not fond of live rock (not to bash anyone). Let me break it down, I have seen the combo that includes( tank,lights,heater,stand,and lid) SO I ASSumed that all i would need to buy is live sand, filter, an additional heater for 100gal tank (which is what im prolly going to go with), and the water test kit for $100, and some fish to start with. I do not meant to be ignorant. DO i have to have a sump if im not going to deal with live rocks? Or do i have to buy a tank with an overflow built in? I dont really have room for a big rubbermaid tub as an water thing i have seen in some peoples home. Skimmer, will this be neccessary, if i just want clownfish, the aneomene and do i have to buy that thing that makes the water have a "current" if im going to have the coral thing. I have read thru the messages and still taking in this fasincating sport. this is eye opening to get first hand advice, and not have a lfs salesman try to get me to buy,buy,buy. Thanks for everyone's input, Im still purchasing in Augustm most def.! :)

You don't have to have a sump, I currently don't. The route you are thinking of going is exactly the route I went. The key is to take your time, especially during the cycling, don't rush it.

I'd also suggest taking another look at live rock, especially if you plan on getting an anemone and/or coral. I just got into the live rock thing and am about to add a lot more.

Think of the live rock as your background, it'll help hide the tubing and wires going down the back of the tank.

Thanks, I am still putting myself thru college and took this project on as my "own child", since sw needs constant montioring. Do you feel your 55gal is efficent enough? My room is 12x12, and i have a full sized bed, no dressers, tv is flat screen on wallmount, so i was thinking 100gal would not swallow the room ,but still be a great start since they are supposly easier to sustain and i want a baby banded shark 1 day.

continue to feed me knowledge, will def. look into rock, but after i hear all the horror stories on curing and whatnot, ill put my money in to some exoctic sand.. haha

Do you reccommend mixing live sand with the saltwater sand in a bag? or strictly live sand?

appreciate it.
newbie-tennessee

A 100 gallon tank with nothing but a few fish and an anemone. Sounds very boring. It will be practically empty. If you only want a few fish and an anemone you should go with a smaller tank. 40 to 55 gallons would be good. If you don't want lr or corals you will save a lot of money. With out the lr you won't need as much water movement but you will need a very good external filter. Sumps are not necessary for what you want. The pre built kit tanks usually do not save you any money. You will have to replace the lighting anyways. Go through the store and add up the piece parts. Add up the costs of each thing that would come in the kit not including the light(cause you usually can't use the standard ones). If the cost adds up to less with the kit then get it. I got mine cheaper by buying it seperate. If it were me, with what you want in the tank, I would go with power compact lighting. You are going to need a couple of powerheads to keep the water flowing but without live rock and corals it doesn't have to be a tidal wave situation.

Ok, I just figured by getting 100gallon, then i will have room for future purchases and my goal is to have a banded shark-not really a major deal, but yea, im more of a start right person...and here in nashville all the combos ive seen were for tank and stand. I realize buying separate is essential in getting the right equipment. So say i already have this from my job (it is pretty wimpy, but will it stand up to housing my sw fish tank??)

1. Will this style of tank be adequate? or should i get a seaglass tank?

2. BASED ON these items included..can i use any or is the tank only savalgable.

AquaCulture 55-Gallon Deluxe Aquarium:
55-gallon capacity
Deluxe full fluorescent hood with two 15-watt fluorescent bulbs (weak?) :(
20/40 power filter (weaker for sw fish only? :?
Digital thermometer
200-watt U/L heater :cry: weakest?

Can i keep this tank and outfit it CORRECTLY with upgrades , or just go with 100gal and look lame?

<<pls keep in mind ; just want live sand, clowns, maybe anemone in due time, and other color vibrant fish in time.

thanks for all the info. :D got my note book filling up with purchases and enjoy this website.

michael, nashville.

Since you have till August, you have time to get prepared buy READING, some READING, and some more READING. You'll be an ole pro by August if you READ!! :wink:

Seriously take 4 months and read constantly about the hobby. The book that I suggest and many others will too is The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert M. Fenner. You can buy it right here:
http://aquariumadvice.com/saltbook.php

If you are serious about this, and about making it the best you can, get the book...

When you get through with the book read it agin, and search this site out, and read all you can here.

:wink: :wink: :wink:

yep. i do have some books by Fenner already, i'll have to look at title again.

so mr. revhtree, will my 55gallon tank, listed above be suitable? I would buy other neccessary parts.

Isnt rossville,ga like 20 min from chattanooga tennesse?

thanks for the insight
will continue to indulge in reading.

Actually it meets in one direction. I am only about 5 min from Chatt Town. :wink:

Your 55 will be great. But it all depends on what you want to put in it. The bigger the better though... :wink:

You can use all the items you have listed. Since your not going to do LR then I would get an Emporor 400 HOB filter. I would also replace the heater with 2 new ones. 2 new because its scary to trust an old heater it could stick on and well, you know. Also if one failed then the other would maintain the temp. The lighting will be enough for just the fish, no corals.

PS. WELCOME TO AA!!!! :smilecolros:

appreciate the support, i have some books by, michael paletta, robert fenner, john tullock==but since this mssgboard gives real world advice and can understand coming from a budget, i def. am using you all's input in how i get this "marriage" :D (to sw tank) :lol: hahaha started.

i dont know if you saw but i do have roughly $1000 budget for all materials. SO i dont want to cheat myself and the experience and have bad lighting, or noisy filters, etc. BUT if i can use that tank thats a good $200 surplus for something more exciting than what i mentioned.

How do you, or anyone else feel about mixing live sand with the store shelf sand(substrate)? I would like the authenticity of a tropical sand but will it really matter?

Question this time>> if i have a wrought iron stand, excellent conditon, will the salt water corriode it over time, even if i clean up spash's or drips ASAP?

thanks AA . youve made my day . nashville aa seeker

I have 200$ in my little 10 gallon already. And its a cheapo wal-mart deal...and I only have 5lbs of rock. More rock is on its way also.

Saltwater fish is a pretty sick hobby...I have sicker hobbies though

I have an AK to 8O

Attachments

• glock22.jpg
    glock22.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 155
  • arside1.jpg
    arside1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 98
  • gear.jpg
    gear.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 89
...I have sicker hobbies though

I don't call that sick, but I won't take pictures of mine. I feel that what I have is not for big brother to KNOW I have, just wonder :mrgreen:

BTW tnscuba, I live in Athens, Tn. I have bought a bunch of live rock and don't have and "horror" stories to tell. I did buy a coral from my lfs and got a big mantis in it :roll: , but the ones I got from liverocks.com don't seem to bother anyone yet. :mrgreen: I'm working on a trap just in case though. :mrgreen:

If I had one piece of advice about SW setups, it would be to keep the tank away from direct sunlight. I've been battling algae bloom for several months now and finally got the advice to get a UV sterilizer. It wasn't a good idea to put the tank in a sunroom. :oops:

nashville saltwater

Custom Aquariums in dickson tn find them on ebay or yellow pages.. i bought there 75 and love it. i built my own stand have under 200 in both

First off...Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
A 55gal is a great starter size, but a 75gal would be better. If you plan on moving a lot on the next few years (as I did in college and after) then a 100+ gal is really a pain in the a$$ to move. Buy your tank and stand locally and source the rest of our equipment on-line. You can save a ton by buying what you need from an on-line source. good luck in the research and keep stopping by here with your questions...Lando

justmy2cents said:
...I have sicker hobbies though

I don't call that sick, but I won't take pictures of mine. I feel that what I have is not for big brother to KNOW I have, just wonder :mrgreen:

All my guns are in my name anyways...so they already know I have them. I am not worried about it. I just lost them in a horrible boating accident...they are in the bottom of the ohio somewhere :wink:

Back
Top Bottom