Natural look?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, I'm new here and was just looking at your thread. What substrate and depth are you using for the plants? I don't have a lot of advice yet since I'm just started planteds myself, but I have always had a lot of houseplants so I'm optimistic. Anyway, substrate can make a big difference.

I'm using floramax from pet smart and there's some black sand that sifted to the bottom. It's about an inch thick towards the front and 4-5 in the back. I would get something a lot more fine if I had the chance to.

I can't remember if I mentioned, but I've order Fluval Plant Stratum. I got the last bag, apparently, from Alpha Pro, but Big Al's Pets.com has it if you can order online. The description says, in part: "Roots are easily able to penetrate and spread throughout this substrate, allowing plants to obtain a variety of readily available nutrients. The addition of Fluval Plant Micro Nutrients also ensures a full complement of essential micro and macro nutrients. This light and non-compacting substrate helps to support beneficial nitrifying bacteria. They quickly colonize its porous structure, helping to maintain optimal water quality for plants and other inhabitants."

I'm wondering if some compaction or too hard for the roots to penetrate could be the issue with your plants? Hard for me to say, you would know better, but a change to something like this could be an option if you're willing to do some tear-down.

Are you also on the board, The Planted Tank? This links to a preview of my new set-up and mainly I'm sending it to get you over to that board quickly. Ulmina 5 gal rectangle - Your Tanks
Only mention it because possibly you may find more help there.

Good luck & have fun!

You can setup DIY CO2 pretty inexpensively for the time being. If I can find my old setup (bottles, hoses, check valves, tubing) I can send it your way. Not using it anymore. I used silicone airline which is porous (CO2 wise) but stays flexible and does not harden and crack like regular airline tubing over time when used with CO2. Leak free when I was using it. I just piped it into the intake of the HOB filter (did not mess with diffusers). I had great results with it. All you need to supply is sugar, water, and yeast. Let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was running diy co2 for a while back when everything g was still in the 20g, but I didn't think it would be sufficient enough for the 36g. I had been using these diffuser ladders that seemed to work well. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422997647.092939.jpg
Fresh, it sound like a great set up, so if you can find it, it will be VERY appreciated!:)
In tank related news I will probably sell my firemouth. I love him, but he uproots stuff too often. :(
The stargrass is also doing quite well, although the older leaves are dying quickly. Dwarf lily is constantly growing new plants. My vals seem to be coming back slowly. Both rotalas are growing nicely.
I am getting a package of water wisteria, hygro cormbosa and/or a crypt wendtii. The wisteria might be replacing this sword ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422998050.961325.jpg

I received the package last Thursday. Everything was in great condition.
Crypt wendtii:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424013857.023155.jpg
Hygro corymbosa:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424013896.542467.jpg
Water wisteria:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424013929.650145.jpg
FTS:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424013953.664448.jpg

I'm not liking the hardscape any more. I think it's pretty dull and boring so hopefully I'll be going to the lfs for some spider wood:)

Back
Top Bottom