Natural Sea water ques again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys I know this topic has been debated over and over. I am currently upgraded my tank and the guy at my LFS told me he uses NSW and has had no problems thus far. Let me just put this in perspective. We live in the caribbean and here the waters are somewhat unpolluted. I was just wondering how much others in the forum uses NSW and what have been your experiences doing such.

If I were near an ocean, I would not get it from the beach. I might get it a few miles off the cost.

roka64 said:
If I were near an ocean, I would not get it from the beach. I might get it a few miles off the cost.

Agreed, and that is generaly the usual consensus these topics come to. You should be fine if you can go off shore some. For an extreem example of why you should go off shore, check out this article someone linked in the lounge,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ews.html?in_article_id=478041&in_page_id=1811

Obviously there's normally not that much, but it does collect at the shores and getting out into the open water some will make it much less likely you'll be picking up extra nutrients and waste.

In the Caribbean you might be OK, as long as the water was not collected in a harbor, etc. If there is a healthy reef where you would be collecting, it might work. There would still be the risk of introducing nasties, though, either diseases or pests.

Well where my friend collects from is a bit inhospitable for humans but as soon as you step in you can see the urchins crabs, shrimp and sometimes even fish.

pinda said:
We live in the caribbean and here the waters are somewhat unpolluted.

While others will have their opinions, only you know the specifics of the water you're planning on using. You will have to ultimately ask yourself if you want unpolluted water, or "somewhat" unpolluted water in your tank. All depends on what level of risk you want to take. I've seen inverts and fish living in some pretty toxic water where I live. Just because they're there and alive doesn't mean it's unpolluted water.

I agree with you Kurt but I have seen aqauriums here with NSW and they seem to be doing fine but I am still investigating before I take the plunge.

One thing to keep in mind is that prepared salt mixes are designed for the home aquarium. Meaning...they offer more buffers for things like Ph, trace and major elements. You do not get this with NSW. Plus...that pollution thing does scare me. I have a feeling the ocean does a much better job at absorbing pollution then the averge sized home aquarium does...its a water volume thing.

Back
Top Bottom