Nearly dead Cory cat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h2ogirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am cycling a 25 gal aqueon with 3 Cory cats. 2 juli and one pepper. This is week 5. I have two aqueon filters running. I understand that my filtration is more than sufficient, but can't remember the filter specs. My tap water has .25 ammonia. I've tested daily and changed water 25-50% daily, or every other, and used prime. I've never noticed any big ammonia spike yet. My pepper Cory is floating on its side. Thought it was already dead but it swam off and behaved normally for a little while. I changed 50% water this morning. He is floating again now. I touched him and he swam off. Can he be saved? I'm feeding shrimp pellets.

It may just be swim bladder. This is caused by improper digestion causing gases to build up resulting in bloating. It may be remedied by feeding soft boiled and de-shelled peas to aid the digestion process. It could also be a bacterial problem and this can be due to where you bought the fish. Some stores use a centralized filtration system which basically means all the fish are swimming in the same water. So if you see an unhealthy looking fish in another tank or you see dead fish floating and caught in the intakes then chances are it will spread disease to another tank.

try the peas and maybe get some type of fungus guard medicine then hope for the best. let us know how it turns out.

Thanks. I'll try peas. I've tried cucumber before to give them variety, but they didn't care about it. The tank they came from appeared healthy. The other 2 cories seem ok still.

Thanks. I'll try peas. I've tried cucumber before to give them variety, but they didn't care about it. The tank they came from appeared healthy. The other 2 cories seem ok still.

what kind of shrimp pellets do you use?

Ok he's still hanging in there. None of them will eat peas or cucumber. In fact, I don't think any are eating at all now. I keep finding uneaten shrimp pellets. They were ravenous for pellets for the first couple weeks. Please help!

Are they still swiming crooked? Or are the laying on the bottom?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

One was floating on side. Not doing that as much now. The other 2 sit on the bottom quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom