Need a new FILTER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The FX5 isn't loud at all. I took out the foam and only have LR rubble for "media". The GPH (at the output) is around 563.

either going with the REna or Fluval!...WHats this thing about taking out foam media or something everyone is talking about?? are bio balls apart of canisters typically??

I take the foam out because they trap a bunch of gunk and can produce nitrAtes.

Dont listen to him....Look at his name.....ROOKIE....Need I say more....LOL In all truth though. Check this out before you make your decision. It shows how easy it is to set up a rena filter.....

FX5 is a self priming unit, I also like the drain on the bottom.
In all honesty, go to the store and play with it...see which would be easier to clean or assemble or take apart.

Personally I dont think you can go wrong with a canister no matter which you choose. Just go with a name brand!

I agree with you spoonman, the canisters today are much better then years ago (those are the years that made me an Eheim fan and still am but one must consider the hole an Eheim will leave in your pocket) as long as one sticks to a known brand.

Rena seems simple...lol...great video..makes it feel so easy.....NOW the question is would you still need HOB to polish water

I keep an HOB on my tanks with just filter floss, for two reasons. One is to polish water. The other is so that if I want to start up a new tank or QT tank I have an established filter with bacteria in it so I dont have to cycle the new tank.

Back
Top Bottom