Need advice, 10g help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Using old filter media is good to build up, but for getting a bigger tank, it might not have enough bacteria to destroy the toxins, witch will cause a bacterial bloom. :D

Of course not. He needs to move it over to seed the larger filter. Tossing it would restart the cycle.

So am I doing what I'm supposed to be doing with my water changes or should I change it?
Your water changes look to be okay. You'll get algae from too much light and too many nutrients. Looks like you've already conquered that. So its just a matter of getting your fish healthy and into a quality tank

So am I doing what I'm supposed to be doing with my water changes or should I change it?

You basically need to do a water change anytime
Ammonia or nitrites get at or above .25ppm or nitrates at or above 20ppm. Doesn't matter how many you have to do to get he levels in check, do back to back changes if necessary; by back to back that means change out water, refil, wait an hour and test your water, if the levels aren't where they need to be- continue until the levels are where they should be.

For a 10g yes you have the wrong fish and to many. But for a 30g I think you would be somewhat close to stocking level if you finished out each school that your remaining fish need.
You can't get 24 of those fish+ a pleco in a 30gal.

So when I get a new 30g tank take my filter cartridge and put it in the new filter? Will these M sized carts work with a different filter? Also how often is recommended to test water parameters. Thanks for all the help guys, you have all helped renew faith in myself :)

So when I get a new 30g tank take my filter cartridge and put it in the new filter? Will these M sized carts work with a different filter? Also how often is recommended to test water parameters. Thanks for all the help guys, you have all helped renew faith in myself :)
Just try to squeeze it in. That's what i did and it works fine:)

You can't get 24 of those fish+ a pleco in a 30gal.
The pleco is dead.

Correct! I'm not certain on sizing to be honest. Probably not though.

Testing depends on the tank. Daily if the tank is unstable, weekly if the tank is stable, or at any other time if something seems amiss

How long should I leave it in before putting a clean one in? I suppose I can save most of my other questions for when I finally do get a bigger tank. I appreciate everything everybody, thank you.

How long should I leave it in before putting a clean one in? I suppose I can save most of my other questions for when I finally do get a bigger tank. I appreciate everything everybody, thank you.

You mean a filter cartridge? Never change them out until they are falling apart, and then put the new one in with the old one for a while so that the new one will get some beneficial bacteria on it. Every time you're changing out the filter cartridge, you're removing all of your bacteria, making another cycle, meaning all your parameters go amuck.

It doesn't hurt to ask all your other questions now. They could help you with the small tank and most likely help you get your bigger tank right without a million problems. :)

You should be able to keep the same cartridge in there for a year. When you do change it out for good, cut the fiber from the plastic and put it in your filter against the new filter pad for a week. Rinse your filter pad with each water change in old tank water.

Wow, I didn't realize how long you were supposed to keep them in for. Is there a reason why the box says replace every 4-6 weeks? I figured it would stop filtering at some point and I thought that's what it was for.

Wow, I didn't realize how long you were supposed to keep them in for. Is there a reason why the box says replace every 4-6 weeks? I figured it would stop filtering at some point and I thought that's what it was for.

The Reason: to make you buy their stuff.

They don't "stop filtering". The purpose of the filter is to take out the gunk and the toxins. The toxins are removed by the bacteria in the filter cartridge, or some use what they call "media". For example, my filter uses cartridges and a bioscrubber insert, but I had massive ammonia levels in my tank. I put in an ammonia-removing media, which was a mesh bag filled with what looked like small rocks that absorbed excessive ammonia while my tank cycled.

The gunk is why you need to clean the cartridge. When you do your water changes, take out the cartridge and swish it around in the old tank water. The chlorine in tap water will kill the bacteria, again, making it cycle. Do not learn the hard way, like I always have to do, and put that off until you see that the top of the cartridge looks dirty. I now have a good inch plus of gunk on my cartridge that I'm struggling to remove. I'm gonna throw out weekly cleaning of the cartridge for a possibly good schedule. If there's a better cartridge-cleaning schedule, someone here will share it.

So if I'm understanding correctly to review everything thus far. I have the wrong mix of fish, overpopulated, and have had mini cycles because of changing the filter every 4 weeks? I'm a terrible fish keeper, so how many fish should a person have in a 10g tank? My 3 tetras and my algae eater didn't seem like it was to much. Or is it that they don't go together and not that there is to many.

So if I'm understanding correctly to review everything thus far. I have the wrong mix of fish, overpopulated, and have had mini cycles because of changing the filter every 4 weeks? I'm a terrible fish keeper, so how many fish should a person have in a 10g tank? My 3 tetras and my algae eater didn't seem like it was to much. Or is it that they don't go together and not that there is to many.

It doesn't look like to many fish. As stated before its all about a fishes activity level, in your case the fish you have are pretty active fish and need more room room to swim than a 10g. Your quite limited when it comes to a 10g; a single betta would be beyond happy in a 10g!

I wouldn't be able to have a beta, I feel bad for them being all alone. Even if they are truly happy it still would bother me.

I wouldn't be able to have a beta, I feel bad for them being all alone. Even if they are truly happy it still would bother me.

You could have a sorority and have only females and do 2 or 3 bettas.

You are not a terrible fish keeper. Everyone makes mistakes. That's how we learn the way to handle fish care. Many new fish hobbiests start off asking at the pet store, and since its their first tank, they don't realize that 90% of the time, pet store info is really bad info. Then when things start going wrong, they come to a place like here and find out. Don't think you're a terrible fish keeper simply for not knowing better. Now you do and can remember it for the future. :)

As for how many to have, it depends on the fish. Some like to be alone; others need a school. The way I would suggest going about it is to find something you like and ask here if it will work and what it needs. Look at some species of fish, or you could decide whether you want schooling or solitary, and ask if it will work, or for suggestions.

Well once I get my tax return I'll be getting a bigger tank and this is the first place I'll be going.

Back
Top Bottom