Need advice BEFORE I set up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Amazing Leaping Gobies

In just one short week I am 2 for 2 on my yellow watchman gobies. Both have jumped the tank and perished by their own actions. I have egg crate on top and don't know what else to do. We love those little guys, but I can't keep replacing them every 3 days!

Any suggestions?

I would say you can either cover how they are getting out or just get fish that don't jump. Do you know where they are escaping?

In just one short week I am 2 for 2 on my yellow watchman gobies. Both have jumped the tank and perished by their own actions. I have egg crate on top and don't know what else to do. We love those little guys, but I can't keep replacing them every 3 days!

Any suggestions?

The holds in the egg crate is to big use mesh and make something like a window screen. This is one of mine this one on one of my QT.

image-2690954546.jpg

The holds in the egg crate is to big use mesh and make something like a window screen. This is one of mine this one on one of my QT.

How the heck do they jump from water & make it out thru those holes? They are less than inch or around an inch square! Do they jump, grab the top & then pull themselves thru?? WHY do they do that?? I'm thinking about a Firefish, I hope they don't do that as well! I'm not sure if the Firefish is going to get along w/ the LM Blenny, gotta research that. But I just put egg crate on (it was fun cutting it!) so I'll be prepared for jumpers when we're ready to get one :\

Firefish jump also had a purple one jump out the Tank when I took the screen off for water change. I had egg crate as a divider for my big QT and always wonder how the fish made it to the next side. Plus the egg crate will block some of you light.

@ green I was thinking of the same type screen door/window mesh. Wondered how it would work. Is yours black or dark grey? That would look nice with the tank.

@ Eric I like the DIY kit too. Definitely need to let me know how it works.

@ tango I lost a clown too. Also jumped tank but that was before I had the egg crate. And I'm with you.... It was fun to snip and shape that stuff! I thought it would be my answer but evidently need to go with a mesh of some sort.

@ everyone: I am assuming a mesh would still allow for good air exchange and light penetration too? I think that is what Green was saying

@ green I was thinking of the same type screen door/window mesh. Wondered how it would work. Is yours black or dark grey? That would look nice with the tank.

@ Eric I like the DIY kit too. Definitely need to let me know how it works.

@ tango I lost a clown too. Also jumped tank but that was before I had the egg crate. And I'm with you.... It was fun to snip and shape that stuff! I thought it would be my answer but evidently need to go with a mesh of some sort.

@ everyone: I am assuming a mesh would still allow for good air exchange and light penetration too? I think that is what Green was saying

Mine is black it dont block light or air flow.
Quick pic DT light is off.

image-1442008810.jpg

Ok. I can see it now in the other 2 pics. Definitely equals let in more light than the screen door stuff I was thinking about. How did you attach it? Did you make a frame to sit on top?

Such Interesting Things!

Tonight I saw the teeny-tiniest of snails. It wasn't much bigger than a flea. It was cruising along one of the panes of glass. As I inspected the snail, I'm also saw these even tinier white dots..thought they were grains of sand blowing around, but they are moving (also on the glass). Looks like maybe copepods or anthropods. I guess these are all signs that my tank is healthy!

@Carey: my 2 snails that I brought back from the beach do just as you said your nassarius snails do...they emerge up out of the sand whenever I feed the fish. Amazing how they can sense the food is there! Don't know what my guys are (the shell is long and smooth), but they are very interesting! I noticed last night that one of them has a bulging back side (as opposed the the edge of his fleshy part being smooth and flat like the rest of him) Wondering what that means. I need a good snail ID guide and reading reference!

lol I'm not much for snail identification unfortunately....

As for the nasasrius snails, I had like 40 in my biocube and not much else for awhile, I love them that much. It's so incredible to watch them all emerge in like 3 seconds. One of the critters I like the best, even including fish!

Let's talk new fish and quarantine tanks!

Still trying to decide what my next addition will be, but would like some advice on purchasing online vs going to my semi-LFS. Online prices are definitely better ( I've looked at live aquaria and blue zoo). I'll admit that i like to peruse the tanks at the store and look at everything, but at this point a 200 mile round trip for 1 fish is a little silly.

What type of experience have y'all had buying fish from online stores? Do you recommend any particular vendor?

Quarantine: I have a spare 20 gallon tank only- no hood, filters, cover, lights, etc. How do I set up quarantine for new arrivals? Do I just mix a new batch of salt water when I get the fish or does it need to be set up for a while first? Does it need rock, sand, etc. or will just the tank and water suffice?

How long should the new fish hang out in quarantine before moving to the main tank?

What level of risk am I taking by NOT using a QT?

Back
Top Bottom