Need Advice on Bickering Clown Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Appaloon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 2 Orange/White and 2 Black/White clowns. They have been in my tank together for a couple of months and were getting along great. A little over 2 weeks ago I introduced a yellow tang and a flame angel. The new fish do not bother any of the others, but the black/white clowns have started being aggressive toward the orange/white clowns. The male chases them and tries to keep them in the back of the tank. The female doesn't seem to bother them as much as the male does. This has been going on for close to 2 weeks now. I've tried rearranging the decorations in the tank with no luck.
Any advice as to what my options are at this point? I really don't want to get rid of either pair of clowns unless I absolutely have to. At this point I'm thinking I'll have to take one pair out and either take them back to the store or possibly set up another tank. The latter option appeals to me as I want a second larger tank, but wasn't really ready to take that on just yet. Any thoughts on what to do to stop the bickering?

It's recommended that only a pair of clowns be in the tank not two pair. IMO there probably wasn't a problem before you introduced the new fish because they felt there was enough room in the tank now there is less and are probably becoming more territorial. The second thing is your tank is to small to house a yellow tang, a minimum of 100 gallons is required as these fish love to swim and need plenty of room to do it. Just the tangs personality is enough to upset the tank mates for a while with their constant swimming all over the place. Hope this helps. Hopefully some of the more experienced will chime in.

Thanks, Keith. I figured it had something to do with the introduction of the additional fish, but would have never suspected the yellow tang. Now I really want a larger tank :)

I have to agree with Keith. One pair would be better than two. Even when I had 2 different clowns in my 125 they still picked at each other. Two in your tank will be OK provided they are a mated pair.

mated? All the fist in my tank are less than 1 1/2- 2 inches long. I bought 1 clown a week ago, then went back to get the other that was in the tank the first time. The bigger of the two picks at the smaller one. They are maroon clowns. I am unsure of how to sex them. I have 3 small damsels and 2 shrimp in there with them. Should I get them an anemone to help of are they just picking cause the bigger one is new. I have a 70 gallon tank. I know it is big enough. I am a beginner, should i even think of getting an anemone? If so, I was looking at the bubble tip. Any advice would be great thanks.

You might want to look at this Sexing Clownfishes - Reef Central Online Community Archives I know several people that have gotten anemones thinking their clown would host it they acted like they weren't even there. At a LFS they had several tank bred clowns in their frag tank and they decided to host a frogspawn. If you have good lights and your tank is well established then you might think about an anemone.

Appaloon, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you are overstocked and it may be tough to keep all of your fish happy, not to mention the water parameters in check.

Well I don't want to jinx it, but right now all of the water parameters are where they should be. I do keep a close check on everything, though. But thankfully, my clowns have settled down and are getting along much better again which takes the pressure off of getting a new tank right now. Once I get a larger tank up and established, the yellow tang will be moving so she will have more swimming room.

Back
Top Bottom