Need advice on lighting for biocube 29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mhayes462

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a biocube 29 with stock lighting. I also have the marineland reef led 18-24" lighting kit that I want to mod into my stock hood. I have included the link for info on the LEDs. Is this kit adequate for corals? I know it states it is, but don't want to trust the word of the mfg. I will be able to keep either the actinic or the 36 watt 10000k bulb when I install the LEDs. Next question, which should I keep? The 10000k for even stronger light if the LEDs won't be enough or the actinics if they will. Thanks for any advice.

http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/marinelandreefcapableledlightingsystem18-24inch.aspx

Mike Hayes

You should be able to keep corals under that light but not any corals that is more light demanding.

What about that light plus the stock 36watt 10000k or actinic for any kind of corals?

Even with that you cant keep any corals you want. What type of corals do you pland to keep

Open brains, acans, leathers, frogspawn, star polyps. Maybe a couple others. I do want an anemone also.

The corals you can keep under stock lighting with correct placement. The nem is something you should wait on til the tank has been established for awhile. It requires higher light than the cube and leds together have.

There are do it your self options that can run probably from $150 to kits that are ready to go almost for upwards of $300.

Jeez, what kind of lighting is required? I thought LEDs were the way to go now. That's why I purchased this kit.

led's are the best thing but only the right ones. There are alot of inadequate fixtures out there that lead people to believe they are the best. It's unfortunate but you just have to do your research.

The other option you have is taking off the lid and getting a clamp on halide fixture. People do that and it works out quite well.

Actually, I just reread the website description and it does say its only good for soft corals or fish only tanks. :)

mhayes462 said:
Jeez, what kind of lighting is required? I thought LEDs were the way to go now. That's why I purchased this kit.

To be honest. I'd add two Eco exotic Promodules and run actinics on the Power compact. You can keep any coral and a Nem under that

carey said:
Actually, I just reread the website description and it does say its only good for soft corals or fish only tanks. :)

Yea it says equivalent to a 2 bulb t5ho. That's the bare minimum even for softies

That's what my question was though. They are better by themselves, but not enough for some coral. BUT, added with the stock lighting they should be right? But which stock lighting? The 10000k or the actinics? As I can only keep one if I install the LEDs.

mhayes462 said:
That's what my question was though. They are better by themselves, but not enough for some coral. BUT, added with the stock lighting they should be right? But which stock lighting? The 10000k or the actinics? As I can only keep one if I install the LEDs.

You still can't keep SPS. A 36w is like a 2 bulb t5ho. So even if you add the LEDs it'll be like you are running 3 t5s over your tank since you're removing a section of your lights.

Back
Top Bottom