need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meganns

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hot a new angel fish and it is always hiding and I have to move stuff to get it to come out so he will eat then goes back to hiding

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121112_212432.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121112_212432.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 108
His getting us to his surroundings but once he settles in he will no hide that much anymore a moving things around may stress him out more so just be patient

I'm afraid he won't eat unless I make him come out

Angel's are usually more comfortable with some green or brown around them. Plants and wood are more common to their natural environment than stone. That could help but I think it may also be a tank issue. How long has your tank been set up for? Do you know the pH, ammonia, nitrite or nitrate levels? What size tank is the little guy in? Are their other fish with him? Having a few other brave fish in the tank swimming around will help him feel safe about being out in the open.

Give him a while to settle in; constantly moving decor and trying to bother him will cause him more stress. He'll come out when he's more comfortable. Be sure the tank size is sufficient for it (Angels can rather "tall") and that there aren't any other fish that might bother it. Is the tank cycled? Be sure your parameters are good (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) as these can often cause fish to act oddly as well.

he started coming on his own today to eat he is in a 22 gallon with a platy , Dalmatian Molly two teras and a dwarf gourami

Try adding a plant or 2 for him to hide in. Angels love greenery. Give him time to settle in and it should be fine. When angels are healthy their eyes will appear red and they will have erect fins; so look for this as a visible sign, besides it eating.

I also am curious to know what the tanks parameters are. If its not finished cycling it will stress the fish. Also I agree that moving things to get him out us causing more stress. He won't let himself starve and it's actually bad to feed the fish when they are stressed, so give him some time to settle and he will come around soon enough. Also angels use plants for hiding and also territory markers. For angels to thrive you really need to give them some plants to hide in, especially when they're small. How did you acclimate him? It's recommended to do drip acclimation with delicate fish like angels and discus. It takes longer but is much easier on the fish. When I added my angels i acclimated them for about an hour and a half to 2 hours and when I introduced them to the tank they seemed as if they'd never even been moved to a new tank.

I don't do all that and my other fish are perfectly fine and happy .. I don't see the point .. im goin to go get more tomoreow .. i don't want live plants in my tank

My tank has hiding places

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121116_203502.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121116_203502.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 80
Wait, you're getting more angels? I wouldn't honestly. 25 gals is barely enough for one full grown angel. Plus if they breed you're going to have a lot of aggression issues both among the angels themselves and with other other fish. Your tank is pretty open; maybe add some fake silk plants if you don't want real ones?

librarygirl said:
Wait, you're getting more angels? I wouldn't honestly. 25 gals is barely enough for one full grown angel. Plus if they breed you're going to have a lot of aggression issues both among the angels themselves and with other other fish. Your tank is pretty open; maybe add some fake silk plants if you don't want real ones?

I agree with every point you made. Superb advice.

I gonna get a couple more but when they get big my cuz is gonna put them in her 50 gallon

I want the tank open enoygh so I can see my fish instead of them hiding

Meganns said:
I gonna get a couple more but when they get big my cuz is gonna put them in her 50 gallon

Translation: I don't care that it's to many large aggressive fish for my tank cause they're pretty and when they're biting each others fins off I'll pass-on the torn up fish to somebody else to deal with it.

Meganns said:
I want the tank open enoygh so I can see my fish instead of them hiding

Translation: I want my fish exposed all the time instead of allowing them to feel comfortable and safe.

Honestly, this is what I'm hearing.

CorallineAlgae said:
Translation: I don't care that it's to many large aggressive fish for my tank cause they're pretty and when they're biting each others fins off I'll pass-on the torn up fish to somebody else to deal with it.

Translation: I want my fish exposed all the time instead of allowing them to feel comfortable and safe.

Honestly, this is what I'm hearing.

Totally agree with you. And @ OP your logic of not swing them is flawed my tank is moderately planted and has driftwood and caves for them but they spend the entire day out where I can see them, not hiding. They will feel safer in a tank with places for them to hide if they do feel scared or threatened. Not having that is putting stress on the fish and its not fair to them. If you want your fish to mimic normal behaviors then trying to replicate natural environments is necessary.

They don't bit each others fins they get along fine and I bought a live plant to tonight gonna take the fake one out

Having fake plants is perfectly fine. They don't have to be live plants. Though the live ones are good for the tank and because they change and grow it can be fun to watch them get taller or spread and multiply.

That tank is pretty open and angles are aggressive fish if I am not mistaken they are a kind of cichlid and thus once they get established in a tank they see it as their territory and will try to chase all others away especially when paired And in some cases these fights will lead to the death or injury of one or both fish. My tank has lots of caves and plants for every one to hide in if they feel the need. But i still get to see all my fish. Look at it this way how would you fell if someone put you I a new environment with no place for you to rest and feel safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom