Need another ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict

The things I need an ID on are the tiny white specs that seem to glide over the coral. I have seen them release from the coral and float away with the current.

Are they copepods? I'm seeing the same things on the glass but not on the other corals.

Probably pods feeding on the slime. I'd take it out and give it a short dip. May be why it has been stressed

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the help bribo!

Dip in what though, freshwater? Wouldn't the pods just come back because they are on the glass?

No coral dip like revive or rx. Well it depends if they're parasites of that coral. If just opportunistic pods then yes they'd come back but if it's some sort of parasitic species a dip could wipe them out. Just an option, I know you'd been having some trouble with that coral so thought it may be worth a try

Where can I get revive or rx? I really appreciate you helping me with this too, this coral is annoying me right now.

I don't know if I've been having trouble with it because of flow or light. I always moved it for flow but never light, the lfs sw guy said it likes low light and low flow which is where I have it placed now.

My dad just said he thinks the coral is a goner, said it's yellowing at the tips and base:bawl::(

No problem! I have the same coral and mines super moody so I feel your pain. You should be able to get he dip from your lfs. Check their supplements section. Your coral may just be shedding if it's turning yellow. I wouldn't count it out until you see it dissolving.

How fast could a mandarin eat a tank full of copepods? I don't have a refugium set up, but I can use my 20L as a amphipod culture tank

I'll be going to my lfs Thursday, and I know they have a mandarin instock....

dang it, would a flame angel eat the pods? I looked at the glass tonight and I have thousands of them on the glass alone, not to mention what is in/on the rock and sump.

Get a sixline wrasse, it'll wipe the tank clean of em

so many choices! I really really really want a mandarin, and I think I could get one to eat frozen for me but the sixline is cool too. I do need another wrasse also...

Don't worry about cleaning out the pods. They'll do their own thing and are harmless. Mandarins are best left in the ocean.

So you don't think the pods are aggravating the coral?
I guess I'm just trying to find a reason for the nepthea to stay closed for so long, its been 2 weeks since it last opened

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have extension!!!! Not sure why but the coral seems to be responding. I'm seeing slime come off of it, and 1 arm is extending with polyps sticking out

I have extension!!!! Not sure why but the coral seems to be responding. I'm seeing slime come off of it, and 1 arm is extending with polyps sticking out

Woo! Hopefully it stays open!

That's typical soft coral behavior. Adjusting to the new environment and throwing off a slime coat. Common with softies.

Back
Top Bottom