Need answer asap please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HarleyNQ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been gone for a week to care for my grandmother who just had heart surgery and left the tank in the care of my husband while I was gone. While I was gone my mother and sister kindly did a 50% water change for me. I came back this weekend and my Poor little Betta has Ick DX. I Just went out and bought some Bettafix and I want to know if I should QT her or if it's safe to just treat the whole 20 gal tank? I have 4 other fish in the tank, Two Shubunkin: one 3-4 in and one 2-3 in; and two Comets: one 3-4 in and one 1in (When they get larger they'll be moving to an outdoor pond, it's too cold atm) They seem to be fine atm, I haven't seen any of the signs.
Please hurry, I have to leave again for another week tomorrow and want to start treatment before I leave.

For one, I would move your betta to a seperate tank, then treat both with a ich cure from your lfs. Put a heater in the qt tank and bump the temp up to 84-86 slowly. I recommend it on a quarantine tank as goldfish cannot easily handle those warm temps. Also, bettas really shouldn't be kept with goldfish as they need entirely different temperature ranges.

Wow, what size tank? FOr that many golfish you'd need a very large one. :) First have you checked parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? Also are you sure it's Ich and not something else (fungal inefction, etc)?
Your betta is probably stressed from inappropriate conditions and unless it's a very large tank your goldies could be stressed from overcrowding and/or poor water quality as well.

Also I agree with the above, Bettas and golfish cannot be kept together as Goldies are coldwater fish and Bettas need a temp of 80.

If it does have Ich, the whole tank may be affected I'm afraid. I wouldn't use Bettafix in a tank with goldies though.

You could set up a 5 gal tank for the Betta alone and add a heater and slowly raise the heat to 86. This should be the permanent home for the Betta, so add some substrate and decor and a filter as well. :)

You could also treat the goldies for Ich too, since if it is Ich the whole tank is affected and QT the betta won't remove any potential Ich that's in the goldie tank.

Here's a link on treating Ich: Freshwater Ich? Yuck!

Reactions: jlk
+1
I agree with Librarygirls advice to rehome the betta to his own tank & treat him with heat for atleast 2wks. As the infected betta is in your main tank, you will need to treat this tank as well for ich even if your fish are showing no signs of the disease. Heat isnt the best option for goldies but aq salt or an ich-cure med (kordons rid-ich + or quick cure) would be sufficient. I would opt for salt before choosing stronger meds. Please read the ich link Librarygirl posted & ask any questions you may have!

Back
Top Bottom