Need cleanup crew suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gauge

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 42 gallon hex tank with about 15-20 pounds of live rock. I have this really annoying pink/purple film developing on my rocks that I can only assume is algae. What would you recommend to get rid of this?

More importantly, what would you recommend I get as a general cleanup crew? I plan on having a bi-color blenny (which I'm told helps take care of hair algae), and I currently have two blue leg reef hermits. I don't know what is too much and what is not enough. Fill me in on what variety and quantity of cleaners I need. :)

Ive got 4 astrea snails in my 30 gal tank...i could use about 5 or 6 more. I think im gonna get some nassarius snails and maybe a conch or 2. From what i have heard they do a good job on algae. My astrias asre doing a great job on my rocks and glass. I also have 10 blue leg hermits, i am waiting to see if i will have a problem with them and my snails! Thats just a few suggestions I know there are tons more out there. Check out the clean up crews on liveaquaria.com that can give you an idea of the different kinds there are out there. HTH!

The pink/purple stuff on your rocks could be coraline algae. This is a good thing and something you want to encourage. It's the reason you have LR in the first place. This will help your filtration process.

It could also be red-slime algae, but as the name suggests its more red/purple then pink/purple. It is also usually a stringy kind of covering, whereas coraline algae is more of a crust type covering on your rocks. If it is this, then you might have a nutrient issue in your tank (too much phosphate is a common cause), or too much light. The best way to remove this stuff is to remove the source of your nutrients or reduce your lighting schedule. If you are using tap water, test it for phosphates. I had a red-slime problem and this was the source. I was able to get rid of it by switching to RO/DI water.

As for clean-up crew recommendations, I would check any of the sites out there that offer "packs" like the previously mentioned liveaquaria.com, or justphish.com. You might want to start out with a pack for a lower sized tank (i.e. 25-30gal), and then add more as you have a need. The key is to not get too many critters and then have them all starve to death.

Thanks for the replies. :)

It's definitely not coraline algae. I'll see if I can post a pic of it for you.

I don't use tap water. I use RO water. I alos have a ton of brown algae on my sand. If phosphates are the cause, where could they be cominig from, and how would I eliminate it?

Back
Top Bottom