Need help!! Asap plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanz8anz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone i am hoping someone can give me some advice.

About a week ago we lost 2 fish one in one tank one in the other we thought this was strange so went and had the water tested and found out the ph was sitting at 8.0 in one tank and 8.5 in the other so was given some stuff to lower it and was also given a external canister filter so went home and installed it and put the ph minus in and went and had the water tested the next day to b told the little tank was fine but our big tank needed another dose so went home did another dose and about 30mins later i saw our bristlenose dart to the top of the tank and get half way out of it and then my female swordtwail did it so i walked over and she did it again and then my 2 mollies did the same and my male swordtail was laying on its side on the bottom of the tank and swimming weirdly and going to the top of the tank the 2 swordtails and 2 mollies died within mins of me noticing and trying to figure out what was going on.and our 2 angels were sitting at the top of the tank sticking there noses out later that night our bristlenose died and then.the next day our gold had fin rot and couldnt swim or float he would just sink to the bottom and had a red nose and red gills and odd looking eyes he also died however our black angel survived and appears normal but has what looks a a white film over its left eye we had our water tested again and our ph was at 6.6 and no ammonia or nitrate so got told we could add fish so we did and he has accepted them fine but his eye doesnt seem to go away what can i do

Sent from my LG-E460f using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did you add any rock to the tank? a pH of 8.0 is very basic and that can be caused by adding sea shells or rocks. The swordtails, angelfish, and pleco are south american fish so the high pH was not desirable for them. I would say that the sudden change was responsible for their death.

We have had rocks in the tank since we started up the tank along with driftwood and ph levels were fine until recently im not sure y there was a spike we do weekly water changes we dont over feed i guess its just one of those things. The other fish didnt die until i lowered the ph and then the swordtails and mollies and the last pleco and one angel fish died our black one is still going but has a weird looking eye

The eye problem could be an infection. A drastic change in pH can be stressful but the fish you listed are hardy so I'm not entirely convinced that the change is responsible for their death.

It all happened very rapidlly we went to clean the tank on thr thursday and found our female bristlenose dead and then i went to clean our fighter tank and he was dead even tho i had fed him and saw him swimming happily an hour before hand and all the other fish died the next day they caught my eye wen i saw the brisltenose swim to the top of the tank and put half of his body out of the water and then my swordtails started doing and they died before i could even figure out what was happening and the angels sat at the top everyone else i had spoken to said thats a sign of ammonia but the water had just been.check and ammonia was nowhere to be found so not that

I would do a 50% water change for now and keep an eye on the angelfish.

Ive been doing small water changes every couple of days to bring the ph back up it was at 6.0 and was told by the local fish shop to do small watet changes every 2days to bring it up to around 6.8-7.0 and maintain it there would u agree with that? Im due to do another one tomorrow so would u suggest to do 50% instead? Is therr something i can get to help tge black angels eye as there is new fish in there as we were told it would b fine to add more fish but if hes got an.imfection i dont really want it to spread

If the small water changes are helping bring the pH up to 7.0 I would continue. What is the pH of your tap water?

It is high the little chart i have only goes to 7.6 and its higher than that

Ive just had a look at my angel on one side he has a green shimmer look around the one side that stops at his gills and then a few strips of gold all on the same side and its the same side were his eye is weird i have never noticed this before could this mean somethng or could it just b a normal colour for a black angel

Oh that is a relief. What is ur theory on aquarium salt in a fresh water tank

Back
Top Bottom