Need Help Desperately

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessriggy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,
currently doing a cycle with fish, long story short i have no other choice. I'm about day 7 with one betta and one apple snail. 5 gallon, heated and filtered tank. I woke up this morning and checked PH/Ammonia/Nitrite and it was all fine so i went to uni. Got home tonight and he was listless at the top in the corner barely moving, even when i touched him. PH was sky high but the rest was fine, i did a 50% water change, temperature matched (maybe a DEGREE out, if that) and conditioned. When I put the water in he flipped out and tossed himself around, laid down on the bottom and breathing heavily. The snail is absolutely fine. He's been tossing himself around every water change for a few days, but not as bad as today.
Am i doing something wrong? I'm trying to match the temperature as best I can each time, you can't get much closer. I just dont want to lose him. I've gotten awfully attached in a short period of time :(

Quick pH change is worse than wrong pH. Next water change like that, remove the old and drip the new. It will take time but better for the fish.

Idk what caused your ph spike, but I do know rapid pH change can kill. I learned that after I lost a new fish. So now I drip acclimate all new fish in their own containers.

I use a turkey baster.

Back
Top Bottom