Need help from my homies....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Brookster, I'd be afraid of 7 full days without lights. And I'd rather give them a little light from the fixture than sunlight. Algae LOVES sunlight. Do you have your lights on a timer?
come on OS! Timers? Man I got these timers...on a Thursday (my gf's day off) I set the tank to turn on and off 8 different times in the kitchen, haha. She called me at work 3 times! I just told her the Cory's were bouncing off the lights.. They'll do that sometimes.

Brookster, you're bad! Just wait till your girlfriend figures you out! LOL... OK. My two tanks are close to each other. I've got two power strips with plugs from everything in them. Looks like a mad scientist's lab behind my tanks! OS.

Speaking of lights......OS, did you see where I posted which lights I have??

Brookster, you're bad! Just wait till your girlfriend figures you out! LOL... OK. My two tanks are close to each other. I've got two power strips with plugs from everything in them. Looks like a mad scientist's lab behind my tanks! OS.
it was just the once, she wasn't impressed, I was very proud if myself having hooked all my tanks up to timers, her response.."oh great, how much more $$$ have you spent on your precious fish tanks" my electrical was starting to look a bit sketchy, I did a complete overhaul and tidied it up with white extension cords and wire staples, that got some of the heat off my back..

Sorry Rodeo, I got distracted, easy at my age.
Your light level should be good for 90% of the plants out there. Your 7 hours should be about right for that light intensity. You can up it by 30 min for two weeks until you start seeing algae then back off to last level. Anytime you're fighting algae though 5 or 6 hrs is the most common tactic. OS.

Sorry Rodeo, I got distracted, easy at my age. Your light level should be good for 90% of the plants out there. Your 7 hours should be about right for that light intensity. You can up it by 30 min for two weeks until you start seeing algae then back off to last level. Anytime you're fighting algae though 5 or 6 hrs is the most common tactic. OS.
yah, sorry rodeo, OS brings out the worst in my aa etiquette sometimes.

I've heard that diatoms love silicates in sand and gravel. That definitely could be it. Diatoms are still around on my 20 gallon, and that's been up for well over a year!

No prob. Brookster , I knew if I bugged him enough I d get a response , if only to make me go away!
Fish person , a year?!? Arghh

(Sorry OS, not going away anytime soon:). )

I have some thing very similar going on in my 35g. Brown furry stuff rubs off easily. Will be paying close attention to this thread :)

I love this forum! Thanks OS.
Malupoo, I think it really comes down to proper lighting, lights at 6ish hrs, increasing glut dosage , water changes & moral support. I also got three Flying Foxes & they take their job seriously !ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392602476.781746.jpg

I did spot treat the fuzzy algae w/ Hydrogen. That kind is pretty much gone, now it s the brown film (diatoms) & some bright green spots . Also , had BBA before & it s gone, too. So guess I am making progress.

I did spot treat the fuzzy algae w/ Hydrogen. That kind is pretty much gone, now it s the brown film (diatoms) & some bright green spots . Also , had BBA before & it s gone, too. So guess I am making progress.
can you give me an idea of how you spot treated? I've been thinking about such treatment..

Thanks Old Scales, they re great little fish . Always in a good mood, never cause any trouble.

I m channeling Rivercats here....
Turn off filters & air, use a syringe to squirt hydrogen peroxide on trouble spots. I think it was 1cc per 3 gal of tank. I used 20 cc s at a time in my 50g. Let sit for 15 minutes. You can do this daily . Any veterinary clinic should be happy to sell you syringes.

I m channeling Rivercats here....
Turn off filters & air, use a syringe to squirt hydrogen peroxide on trouble spots. I think it was 1cc per 3 gal of tank. I used 20 cc s at a time in my 50g. Let sit for 15 minutes. You can do this daily . Any veterinary clinic should be happy to sell you syringes.

I've had something similar growing on the manzanita DW and back wall (thankfully not the plants) about the same time I started dry ferts. I have been incredibly lazy and only measured nitrates and phosphates during the first week of dosing. :(

Regarding the syringe, I went to the baby section of the grocery store and got a $0.79 plastic syringe used for dosing oral meds. It is marked in 0.2 mL increments up to 5 mL. I cut a length of airline tubing a fit it onto the end of the syringe. It makes it easier to draw from the Excel/Glut bottle and for spot treating algae.

I m channeling Rivercats here.... Turn off filters & air, use a syringe to squirt hydrogen peroxide on trouble spots. I think it was 1cc per 3 gal of tank. I used 20 cc s at a time in my 50g. Let sit for 15 minutes. You can do this daily . Any veterinary clinic should be happy to sell you syringes.
sweet! I have noticed the bba is pretty much donzo in my heavily planted 20, joy, but I'm an idiot and put a crypt from the 20 into my 29 now there is bba popping up all over that one, I just started dosing excel in the 29, is it bad to dose excel at .75 watts/gal? I add comp too..
No spoilers OS! I'm watching it tonight, I worked myself into a coma yesterday. Too much snow:(

Back
Top Bottom