Need Help! Loach Fight!!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanatic88

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi i have three polka dot loaches among other fish in a 29 gallon, all 3 loaches are roughly 1.5" and have not noticed any problems before tonight. tonight after feeding my fish i noticed two were/still are in a "loach fight". The larger one greyed out and they began spinning around in circles. they started the "fight" under a rock cave hiding spot so i thought it was over that hiding spot. but now i have noticed that they will spin around then one will break away and swim after the third loach then they will spin around again then the other will swim after the third loach. so now i wonder if they are fighting over rights to a female? i cannot see any visible wounds on any of them. i really need help and input from the experts on this one. Please Help Thanks!!

I have 3 polka dot loaches as well and ive seen them do this a few times and freaked out a little. I think it may be some kind of dominance thing since theres only 3 of them. A friend of mine had this happen and she said once she got a few more, they stopped.doing it.

ok. i was just freaked out lasy night because they were doing it for a solid 30 mins and they kept doing it when i turned the light off. I am glad to here that others have the same thing happen, unfortunately i cannot get more until i upgrade. Thanks for the reassurance! :)

They are probably developing a hierarchy. I would watch out for injuries though, because some fish, when battling for dominance, will hurt each other.

bud29 said:
They are probably developing a hierarchy. I would watch out for injuries though, because some fish, when battling for dominance, will hurt each other.

ok i will, but from what i have read, the "loach fight" doesnt cause many injuries, but it makes the fish keepers panick when they/we/I see it! LOL :)

Back
Top Bottom