Need help On planted shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lunchbox209

Aquarium Advice Freak
Specs first
10g
2 bulb t5ho light fixture
DIY co2
Sponge filter
Moderately planted
50% weekly pwc
Dirt substrate with sand top
Small bag of cc

Test results from 5 min ago
Ph 6
Ammo .50
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Kh 17.8
Gh 35.8

Okay here's my dilemma two days ago I woke up and noticed about 60% of my rcs dead :(
I have already came to the conclusion that it was my fault because I made a rookie mistake by washing one of my sponges on my sponge filter with tap water and two days later washing the other sponge wit tank water so long story short I have to cycle my tank again but the only thing is my ph won't go higher than 6.0 and for my bb to work the ph has to be higher right? So I don't know what to do to raise it back to normal can anyone help me.

I moved this into the invert section because I think you will get more responses about the rcs here.
No, your bb will be fine at a pH of 6. No, adding an hob filter won't raise your pH. In a shrimp tank, I suggest just sticking with the sponge filter though because shrimp can get sucked into hob filters, especially shrimplets. If you do choose to go with an hob filter, cover the intake with a sponge or something to protect the baby shrimp.

I prefer a HOB filter with a sponge prefilter, I like a bit more flow in my tanks, but as far as them gassing off co2 I'm not sure. I mean a sponge filter does the same thing or even letting the water sit for 24 hours, you can only gas off so much right?

Yea, if the mini cycle did not kill your shrimp, it is possible a chemical got in the tank. If you spray cologne, hairspray or anything in the same room as it, that can harm them.

The biggest killer is nitrates. It is possible they built up from the mini cycle.

I love HOBs with sponge prefilters, but my tank currently has a sump internal filter. Very cool :p.

Glad you still have 40% of your stock. They'll replace the losses soon.

Ok. I have never personally experienced this because the pH in my sponge filter tanks is the same as in my HOB tanks, but good to know that it can happen. :)

This OPer is adding CO2 to their tank. If you add CO2, your pH will decrease. So, the opposite of that is also true.

I wasn't talking about normal atmospheric CO2. I guess I should have clarified that.

Okay it was a fully cycled tank up until the other day when I stupidly rinsed one of the sponges with tap water. As for the drop checker I bought one but it turned out to be a waste of money but what is weird about the ph being so low Is that I have a bag of crushed coral but still when I test the ph it's a 6.0

Back
Top Bottom