Need help to ID algae and a creature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

palmgirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all :)

My tank is 4 months old. Last week, I added MH and actinic lighting.

I am trying to lower my nitrates (currently at 40) and I am attributing the red and green algae growth to that, but the growth started when I began using the lights.
I have them on for 10 hours.

The bubbles also appeared after I started using the lighting as well.

I have included pictures of the algae, the bubbles, and the little critter on the glass.

What type of algae is this and what should I do about the bubbles? What is the little creature?

Thanks!

Attachments

• pict0149.jpe
    pict0149.jpe
    123.9 KB · Views: 50
  • pict0134.jpe
    pict0134.jpe
    153.7 KB · Views: 76
  • pict0144.jpe
    pict0144.jpe
    50.8 KB · Views: 52
The critter looks like a serpulid. Which is a just a small tube/featherduster worm. The green is hair algae. The bubbles I'm not sure about. Do you have skimmer that could be adding microbubbles to your tank?

Perhaps the bubbles are from your maxijet or the filter then. You know, with enough liverock and a few well placed powerheads, you could do away with the emperor. :wink:

Not yet, tmcpeek, and I do need to do that. My test kit doesn't test for phosphates, so I will be going to the store today to get the tests.

From what I have read, if the nitrates and phosphates are nill, then it should prevent the growth, is that right? Is the green hair algae a prelude to coraline algae? How does coraline algae begin?

Thanks for the replies :)

palmgirl said:
Is the green hair algae a prelude to coraline algae? How does coraline algae begin?

Unfortunately not. :( It's feeding off nutrients in your water. Find the fueling source and you'll get rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom