Need Help w/ Transporting Planted Tank & Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slavo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey All!

I will be moving (1hr from my current residence, via car) in a few months and would like to have some sort of game plan on how to move my 50g planted tank and fish.

My only "plausible" plan that I have so far, would be to drain all the water into large containers (plastic bins, buckets, garbage cans, etc.). Bag the fish or put them in 5 gallons buckets. Then, attempt (with caution) to move the tan, with the plants and substrate still in place, in order to avoid re-planting and most importantly disturbing/damaging the plant's root system.

I would then secure the tank and pad it accordingly, to avoid any damages en route.

Does this sound possible? Any suggestions? Has anyone done a move like this before?

I just moved a couple weeks ago and have 5 tanks one of which is very heavily planted. And another one was moderately planted. I was planning on rescaping the tanks so I wasn't worried about not uprooting the plants plus they where ok n the way of cc arching the fish. But anyways what I did for my most heavily planted a 20g was get 4 buckets I filled the first 2 with tank water and very carefully pulled up all my plants and put them in the first one I put an airstone in the second one and put all the fish in it then drained the rest of the water into the remaining 2. I had a a piece of plywood that was slightly larger than the footprint of the tank and we set it on that I did leave the substrate and an inch of water in the tank. Loaded everything up fish last and went to the new house fish came out of the car first so I could put the airstone back into there bucket. Put the tank back together I only used the water from the 2 buckets that did not have the fish or plants in it then I re planted the tank topped it of with water from the new place re acclimated the fish to the new water and put them in the tank I have some delicate fish in that tank and did not loose one. I actually only lost one fish in the move and it was one of my 80+ cichlid fry.

I just moved a couple weeks ago and have 5 tanks one of which is very heavily planted. And another one was moderately planted. I was planning on rescaping the tanks so I wasn't worried about not uprooting the plants plus they where ok n the way of cc arching the fish. But anyways what I did for my most heavily planted a 20g was get 4 buckets I filled the first 2 with tank water and very carefully pulled up all my plants and put them in the first one I put an airstone in the second one and put all the fish in it then drained the rest of the water into the remaining 2. I had a a piece of plywood that was slightly larger than the footprint of the tank and we set it on that I did leave the substrate and an inch of water in the tank. Loaded everything up fish last and went to the new house fish came out of the car first so I could put the airstone back into there bucket. Put the tank back together I only used the water from the 2 buckets that did not have the fish or plants in it then I re planted the tank topped it of with water from the new place re acclimated the fish to the new water and put them in the tank I have some delicate fish in that tank and did not loose one. I actually only lost one fish in the move and it was one of my 80+ cichlid fry.

Sound pretty good; gives me hope that my move can be done with minimal casualties to my fish and plants. Thanks for the input.

Last time I did this I took a thick board, drained my tank down to just an inch of water covering the substrate. The water was drained into 5g buckets that the fish where also kept in. Slide the tank onto the board while 2 people hold it level with the stand so the tank isnt stressed much. Carry it to the truck and set it down board and all and strap it down.

That's how I did it with the 20 and rimless 10's but didn't have a board big err bough for thr 55 but it still survived

Looks like I'm gonna have to take a drive to Home Depot for some really sturdy plywood, if I end up going with that method lol.

Go to the rummage wood section and find a broken countertop. The broken or hald used lumber is very cheap and the countertops are normally 2 inches thick.

Back
Top Bottom