Need help w/water test results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brendan99

Aquarium Advice Regular
What do we think of these results???? My tank has been running since jan 1.

Attachments

• image-3878283728.jpg
    image-3878283728.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 112
Spot on. Nitrates a Tad high but acceptable. Nothing a pwc couldn't sort out. Have your nitrites peaked then dropped again. How u cycling? Pure ammonia

I have fish in my tank here's a description

To give u an idea of the tank it's a 28 gal bowfront with 2 merineland 150 penguin bioweel filters. A merineland led night/day lamp double bright. In the tank I have some fake plants as well as some plastic rock formations.

Now for what's living in it lol

- 2 ferns
- 1 seeweed looking stuff (can't remember name)
- 1 moss ball
- 2 fancy angel fish
- 3 black phantom tetras
- 2 rummy nose tetras
- 2 mollies
- 1 sword tail

Did you add all the fish at once I would do an immediate 50% PWC and use prime water treatment for new water see if that brings the nitrites down any

Looks like you're still cycling. I would do a few immediate 50% PWCs, one after another, to get those nitrites in line.

I'm having sick fish problems so I have no filters in my water filters and don't want to shock my fish. I am doing 15%changes everyday and I do treat my water with prime

No filters in your water filters?

BigJim is giving you good advice. Water changes are not going to shock your fish if you do it correctly (match water temps and use a water conditioner) however if you leave the nitrites that high, it could (will) kill them. I wouldn't be doing anything less then 50% PWCs as previously recommended...and Yes, it's going to take multiple water changes (not just 1x per day) to get that level down to a more acceptable point. Remember, anything over .25ppm ammonia or Nitrites can harm your fish.

You should remove the carbon, not all the filter media when you're treating with medication. Removing the mechanical and biological filter media will throw your tank into a full cycle, stressing your fish and making them more prone to illness.

If you have cartridges with carbon inside, leave them alone. It's better to lose a little medication to the carbon than it is to put your tank into a full cycle.

Brendan99 said:
Well my filters have bio weel's on them so I don't think my tank will cycle but it also won't move forward :(

You will still cycle. Look at melafix or similar medications that won't stall the cycle. You can also cut a slit in the filter and remove the carbon. I have read in a lot of place carbon is needed to remove medications and that's about it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Wish I new that befor I already have the filters out foe 3 days now so lets hope I don't lose any fish I like these guys

Brendan99 said:
What do you recommend when I put them back in should I rince them out before putting them back in???

You can rinse them in tank water from your water change NEVER rinse them in tap water. Good luck.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom