Need help with Frogspawn possibly dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rey0112

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Type & how long you have had it: 1 month
Current lighting & Bulb Age: T5
Nitrate: 0
Calcium: 420
Phosphate: ?
Alkalinity: ?
pH: 8.0
Salinity: 1.023
Temperature: 77
Location in tank: low
Current amount of flow: low
Current tank dosing regimen: calcium to maintain 400 - 450
Nearby coral: candy cane a foot away
Explanation of problem: dying
Water changes: weekly
Light timing: 8hours of day, 1hr 1/2 before and after day time

I took a picture of the candy cane as well sense it's been acting weird
First time posting as you could tell , am I missing anything ? I still haven't done a revive dip (would need some instructions on that). Seems like the "brown jelly" symptom on the frogspawn, would a dip save it or is it a 50/50 ?

Attachments

• image-1152202054.jpg
    image-1152202054.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 89
  • image-1269103005.jpg
    image-1269103005.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 73
Don't worry, I'll tell my coral to postpone his death for you guys, thanks for nothing.

Have you had any salinity or temperature fluxuations lately? How long has it been inverted? When was it purchased?

I would go to the lfs and ask them to test your alkalinity and phosphates if you can

Will do, thank you for replying, highly appreciated.

Sometimes it takes a little more than 40 minutes to get a response, it isnt because we dont care.

Mentioning temperature, this weekend being the hottest it's ever been in the New England area (94 F) and my heater being at 77 F could it be that my water temperature was higher than average ? I thought of this because of the location of the tank.

Not the hottest it's ever been but at least this year

and yea I see that I apologize for the little patience so early in the morning

No problems. We are here to help. Is the tank by a window or something? Do you have a thermometer in the tank. If not, you should get one.

Don't worry, I'll tell my coral to postpone his death for you guys, thanks for nothing.

There really is no need for this type of comment. If we don't respond, it's because maybe we missed your thread, or we're thinking how best to help. Just be a bit patient ;)

As for your situation, how many bulbs do you have in your T5 fixture? When was the tank set up? Did you cycle it?

Looking back at the blown up picture of the frogspawn, it lookd pretty bad. I would be surprised if it came back. It looks like you can see skeleton. We will try to find the problem and stop it from happening to others.

Stock lighting of a 14 gallon biocube and the tank is 6 months old with 1 fire fish goby, 2 clowns, 1 fire shrimp, 1 emerald, 15 pounds of live rock and a clean up crew, yes it's cycled.

Candy Cane looks good
Frogspawn RIP (my very first coral)

Sorry about the frogspawn. I had the same thing happen to a long tenticle plate coral. Never did figure out what happened. Keep your parameters in check and hopefully wont happen again.

Stock lighting of a 14 gallon biocube and the tank is 6 months old with 1 fire fish goby, 2 clowns, 1 fire shrimp, 1 emerald, 15 pounds of live rock and a clean up crew, yes it's cycled.

Candy Cane looks good
Frogspawn RIP (my very first coral)

I'm pretty sure the stock lighting in biocubes are CF's and not T5s. Maybe other owners of biocubes can comment, but I don' think that's enough light for a frogspawn; let alone one on the bottom of the tank.

I dont think the lighting was the issue.. Forgspawns need low light and i dont think his would have been totally inverted if it needed light, you think? It seems like a salinity thing, have you tested it again?

I have a biocube and yeah, it's stock cf bulbs. I have seen many people keep LPS in their cube with no issues. I'd be more concerned with the salinity, temperature and the parameters that you don't check. Also, there is most likely no reason to be dosing your tank with anything, even calcium. If you are doing your water changes weekly with a good quality salt mix then the corals are getting all they need. If you can, I would suggest getting a test kit for: alkalinity, magnesium and phosphates. I assume you already have calcium, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph kits. :)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I dont think the lighting was the issue.. Forgspawns need low light and i dont think his would have been totally inverted if it needed light, you think? It seems like a salinity thing, have you tested it again?

Yes, 1.023

Adding calcium to a tank without knowing the other parameters is a recipe for a plethora of coral skeletons! Calcium is just one small part of the big picture.
Here is a lot of good reading you may want to skim through before you add any more calcium-
Reef Aquarium Water Chemistry

As for adding chemicals, everything you need is already in your reef grade salt mix. Just do your weekly water changes you're already on your way to a healthy tank.

Frogspawns are not low light. I have one doing very well about 12" from my fixture. It's all a matter of acclimating. I doubt this had anything to do with light.

carey said:
I have a biocube and yeah, it's stock cf bulbs. I have seen many people keep LPS in their cube with no issues. I'd be more concerned with the salinity, temperature and the parameters that you don't check. Also, there is most likely no reason to be dosing your tank with anything, even calcium. If you are doing your water changes weekly with a good quality salt mix then the corals are getting all they need. If you can, I would suggest getting a test kit for: alkalinity, magnesium and phosphates. I assume you already have calcium, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph kits. :)

I will get the rest of the test kit, thermometer, and no more dosing of calcium with weekly water changes, Carey nailed this one, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom