Need help with horrible tank w/ starfish. HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andyvette

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am getting a 30 gallon aquarium for free from a friend. I am going to pick it up on Wednesday/Thursday.
It is COVERED in algae. Her exact words were "I haven't touched it in a year". In fact, she said other than feeding it, she just adds tap water........

So, with that being said, I am going to need some help. She said she has a TON invested, and I will get a list later on tonight. As far as transporting, this is what I am thinking (1-2 hr drive). Empty 10 gallons out. Put 10 gallons in a container with the few craps and starfish, and keep the other 10 gallons in the tank (keeping gravel and filter media there for bacteria purposes).

I want to post pics but I dont have a place to upload them too. Any suggestions? (Or can I send them to someone, and you can post?)

I am new to the saltwater world, so bare with me while I try to save these poor guys. I dont know alot yet (she is e-mailing me a list of stuff she has), but I do know it is an Eclipse hood w/ biowheel. So at least it is some marineland stuff which shouldnt be too bad.

I guess im about to have to do a few water changes.... :)

I will update very often on this thread, so please check back to help.

Depending on the condition of the tank, you may want to start from scratch, especially if it has been neglected for a year.
See what she has on the list first. Also consider bringing a test kit there and testing the water to see if it's worth salvaging. HTH

I guess im about to have to do a few water changes....
A few? It may be many to get rid of the algae nuisance.

Mike

Salttanker said:
I guess im about to have to do a few water changes....
A few? It may be many to get rid of the algae nuisance.
(I was being sarcastic)

Here is a list of some of the stuff- quote from her-
Okay, here is a brief list of what comes with it, but there may be more:

Marine Pellets
Large bottle of Chlor Out
about a half bag of salt
Aquarium Evolution-Ammex, brand new... some kind of water conditioner I think
Master Test Kit for Saltwater tanks ONLY
Seatest--the meter thing to test the PH and salt levels
Brand New Thermometer, the kind that has a suction cup on it, never opened
Magnetic Scraper
Brand New bag pretty good size of Coral Sand, but it's the type of rocks that are on the bottom. We couldn't decide if it needed it or not, so we just kept it.

She said she will get me some pics tomorrow. Does my water transporting sound ok?

(I was being sarcastic)
I figured you were. ;)

Here's what I would do:

Keep the test kit
Keep the Seatest pH tester
Keep the thermometer
Keep the magnetic scraper
Keep the salt
Keep the marine pellets
Keep the Chlor out if you are using tap water
Ditch the crushed coral and get sand to eventually replace the substrate with

As for the transport, I would put the livestock in separate bags. With dye off in the containers and rising ammonia, I don't think the specimens would make it that long imo. You can get these bags at any lfs.

Mike

You could get a couple of rubermaid tubs for transport. With the water in the tank being "neglected" it will be tough, but not impossible to make things work. I would get a tub and mix up some new water a couple days before the move. The on the day of the move, acclimate the starfish and crabs to the new water properly. Then transport them in it. Keep that water for when you set up the tank at the new location. If necessary, you can keep the starfish and crabs in the tub for a couple days as long as it's heated and circulated properly. You can do this while you square away the tank.

Small update, I am picking it up tomorrow. I am going to try to keep everything in tact and should reduce the stress as much as I can. I would expect them to fully live through this experience, but the tank cleaning is going to be a WHOLE new matter. Lots and lots of PWC, and as soon as I get the readings from the kit, I will post them. Once my levels are neutral, I will add a couple more guys to the cleanup crew (possible snails/crabs).

Ill talk to ya'll when I get it tomorrow.... *crosses fingers*

I would put the livestock in buckets to haul them, remove all of the water that you can from the tank and leave just a little in the bottom to cover the substrate. If there are any liverocks in there, you can put them in a bucket as well and cover them with wet newspaper.

Then refill with fresh saltwater.

look dude , i hope im not to late. it would be a good idea to get the livestock out before you start moving the rock and substrate around. its just been sitting so if you stir all that mess up your nitrate and amonia are likely to go through the roof. its probably going to be best not too use the water.you didnt mention fish so you might be ok. fish poop would be a majior prob.if you have a chance will the livestock are in the bucket, it might be a good idea to vacume the substrate or at least rinse it a little and let it setle before transfering everything.

i bought a used tank that had been neglected and it was a nightmare. i used most of the water from the tank when i moved it and the nitrates were insane. i hope it all goes well. dorian

dorian965 said:
it would be a good idea to get the livestock out before you start moving the rock and substrate around. its just been sitting so if you stir all that mess up your nitrate and amonia are likely to go through the roof. its probably going to be best not too use the water.you didnt mention fish so you might be ok. fish poop would be a majior prob.if you have a chance will the livestock are in the bucket, it might be a good idea to vacume the substrate or at least rinse it a little and let it setle before transfering everything.

I will get the livestock out.... (the starfish and a few crabs is all), and put them in a bucket. I will then take out the rocks from the tank. I will then drain 80% of the water (while vacuuming the substrate). When I get back to my place, I will put back in the live rock, then put in fresh salt water, and let it sit (with the media running and substrate) for a couple hours. Then I will put back the crabs and starfish. So we shall see. Ill do a couple 20% water changes a day (while vacuuming the substrate), and scrape the algae daily, as well as test the water chemistry daily.

Wish me luck ;)

You know, if it's that "muddy" and dirty, you might as well remove all the water, besides, moving with even 20% water left, plus substrate is going to put a lot on that tank glass... I say drain it all, start over with fresh rinsed substrate and then put the LR back and start a cycle... that way you arent setting yourself up for more problems.

You can trade the star or set them up in a smaller tank temp for a few weeks while you recycle...

That's what I would do... just my 2 cents :) Good luck and keep us posted

Florida8 said:
You know, if it's that "muddy" and dirty, you might as well remove all the water, besides, moving with even 20% water left, plus substrate is going to put a lot on that tank glass... I say drain it all, start over with fresh rinsed substrate and then put the LR back and start a cycle... that way you arent setting yourself up for more problems.

You can trade the star or set them up in a smaller tank temp for a few weeks while you recycle...

That's what I would do... just my 2 cents :) Good luck and keep us posted

That is exactly what I did. Gave the starfish away, and drained it. I had to work 6 hrs tonight, so I wouldnt have gotten a chance to take care of it, plus it was way too much work. The added stress of the move + the new water conditions probably would have been too much.

So there we go.... I might start a salt tank, or I might sell it. I'll ask you some ?s if I keep it.

Thanks again ya'll :D

Back
Top Bottom