Need help with starting the cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshinator

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I own a 55 gallon tank and currently have 50 lbs of dry rock and 2 lbs of live rock. I was wondering if the live rock is enough to cycle (I'm thinking it's not) or if I should add something else to get it going? Help would be much appreciated.

Add an ammonia source and the cycle will start. Anything like a raw cocktail or table shrimp left in there for a few days or put a few drops of pure ammonia until you get to 4ppm on your test kit and let it process it then do it again a few times. When your ammonia can go from 4ppm to 0ppm and your nitrite drops to zero within 24hours you're ready for fish. Make sure it's pure ammonia though

Add an ammonia source and the cycle will start. Anything like a raw cocktail or table shrimp left in there for a few days or put a few drops of pure ammonia until you get to 4ppm on your test kit and let it process it then do it again a few times. When your ammonia can go from 4ppm to 0ppm and your nitrite drops to zero within 24hours you're ready for fish. Make sure it's pure ammonia though

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom