need help with stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok if you want a leaf fish you really need to do some heavy research. They only eat live foods so you will probably have to set up another tank so the feeder fish can breed and you don't have to go back and forth from the fish store every time you run out. Also South American leaf fish are very rarely seen (at least down here in Texas) although the Africans seem to be more common. Same rules apply with both, I've only ever heard of one leaf fish accepting pellets so you need to consider the food aspect of this. They're amazing fish if you can get your hands on one.

Ok if you want a leaf fish you really need to do some heavy research. They only eat live foods so you will probably have to set up another tank so the feeder fish can breed and you don't have to go back and forth from the fish store every time you run out. Also South American leaf fish are very rarely seen (at least down here in Texas) although the Africans seem to be more common. Same rules apply with both, I've only ever heard of one leaf fish accepting pellets so you need to consider the food aspect of this. They're amazing fish if you can get your hands on one.

Very true. They will be ok with one feeding a week. Mine relish ghost shrimp but will eat feeder guppies. I dont breed my own food for them as the tank woukd have to be huge to keep up with there eating. 12 ghosties a week and it can be more. I do not recomend the south american (sometimes called amazon) leafies because they require alot more food.

Yeah I love the South Americans but the main issue is they're so seldom seen and they pretty pricey. And yes they will eat you out of house and home if you're not prepared. I want one real bad but I've run into two problems, their rarity and they're food requirements

Live foods and only live foods. Shrimps, minnows, guppies, anything and everything their huge mouths can vacuum up.

Now that I don't have a solid answer. I've heard of people just feeding them twice but other people I know have fed them three to four. I however do not think that's entirely needed but I may be wrong. Personally id only feed mine, if I had one, three times a day, one or two guppies or minnows. And some shrimps, I always have shrimp in my tank for my bichir and raphael catfish.

I have heard the south americans eat their own weight everyday. I feed my 2 africans a dozen or so ghost shrimp every week. They could probably use a bit more and I may start getting 20.

I guess you would have to have a 40b for live food and what ever tank size for the leaf fish, seems like alot of work for a leaf fish lol.

Wow wow wow wow
Also GodFan I love your name!!

Thanks! Yes they eat alot. I dont think a 40b would be big enough to keep up with the leaf fish unless you were breeding neos. Although I guess a larger breeding fish like a cichlid or something might be able to do it.... just to hard to tell.

Back
Top Bottom