Need help with Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wlwright1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm currently in process of fishless cycling a 40g hex front tank. I have a lot of algae in the tank. I was getting some plants started while cycling but haven't had much luck with them as they get covered in algae. I'm frustrated as I went away for a few days and left the CO2 I had going.

Prior to leaving I was very close to completing the cycle. Now my ammonia is higher than it was and isn't returning to 0 as it was. Nitrites are also high as well. I did turn off the CO2 and have added an airstone. I also scrubbed the tank and did a decent size water change last night.

My question is what should I do about the algae? Should I remove the plants and continue with cycle and add them upon adding fish? What can I do to prevent algae while I'm cycling the tank?

Any help would be appreciated. I've attached some pictures of the algae for reference.IMG_1588.jpgIMG_1589.jpg

How long are your lights on and what type of lighting are you using?

Fluctuating C02 levels will encourage algae growth.

Why the airstone?

How long has the tank been cycling?

My lights are on about 10 hours a day.

I removed the CO2 for now but will introduce again later when I have fish in the tank.

I thought that airstone help aerate the water helping with the cycling processes.

It's been going on about a little over 5 weeks but I went away for the fourth and that's when I came back.

I did do some measurements today and ammonia is down, nitrites came out 0 and nitrates were around 80.

Should I just continue what I'm doing then?

My lights are on about 10 hours a day.

I removed the CO2 for now but will introduce again later when I have fish in the tank.

I thought that airstone help aerate the water helping with the cycling processes.

It's been going on about a little over 5 weeks but I went away for the fourth and that's when I came back.

I did do some measurements today and ammonia is down, nitrites came out 0 and nitrates were around 80.

Should I just continue what I'm doing then?

I would reduce light to 6 hours a day for now. IMO 10 hours is too long. You can gradually increase the photo period to 8 hours once things get going.

I have no experience with C02 injected tanks, but from what I've read I think it's a good idea to plant heavily right away and get the C02 level and fertilizer schedule regulated in your tank, then the plants will compete with the algae and ultimately drown most of it out when things balance. The airstone, while helpful during a nonC02 tank cycling process, only reduces the C02 saturation, causing unwanted fluctuations.

Kind of hard to tell in the pic, but since you've been cycling for 5 weeks, the algae you're having could be diatoms, which will go away on its own. Can you brush it off the leaves easily?

Your latest readings indicate that your tank is well on its way to being cycled. Did you ever get nitrite readings?

Last edited:
Well a few days ago nitrite readings were really high. But today it was 0 so I'm thinking that I'll keep checking and then do a big water change and check for a week after and then add fish

Nice! Good plan. If you're planning to do a C02 tank then get lots of plants in there and crank it up asap! [emoji16]

Back
Top Bottom