Need Plumbing HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toronto scarz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I am building a freshwater 240 gal Acrylic aquarium. Almost done. 75 x 24 x 30 tall. Will be a room divider. The 24" side will be against a wall with 3 sides open for viewing. Sump is in basement. Im going to have 1200gph going into it from sump pump in basement.
What size pipes do I need? Thinking 1.5" from pump to tank and split into two 1" exits into tank. As for drain i was thinking 1.5" and another 1.5" overflow both leading to a 2" pipe from tank to sump. Does that sound correct? Maybe I should have overflow and drain complete separate all the way to sump? Keep in mind from sump piping will be 23ft horizontal and 16 ft vertical from sump to tank. Please help me with you experience.

Trying to keep the gurgling noise down. I imagine in basement ceiling it will get annoying if I ever do finish the basement

I'd use all 2", throw a ball valve in the drain line, that will allow you to restrict flow if its making noise. Wouldnt think the noise would be an issue with return and that much head pressure.

Edit- what type tank? If it's not a reef tank the 1.5" should be fine.

Thanks for reply. I have not set up Plumbing yet. I just don't want gurgling noise. Will be setting up in next 2 weeks. You meant all 2" for drainage only? Seems a little much for return to tank

Back
Top Bottom