Need second canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone live in downstate ny and have a canister filter they want to part with for cheep? I'm sick of trying to keep my sons 55 gal nice with a yucky power filter but we are broke. We have two 55g one with a canister and one power. The difference is amazing. Both tanks only have 7 gold long finned danios. But the one with the canister filter has sand the power fter gravel. Maybe I should switch the gravel to sand.

Does anyone live in downstate ny and have a canister filter they want to part with for cheep? I'm sick of trying to keep my sons 55 gal nice with a yucky power filter but we are broke. We have two 55g one with a canister and one power. The difference is amazing. Both tanks only have 7 gold long finned danios. But the one with the canister filter has sand the power fter gravel. Maybe I should switch the gravel to sand.

I'd say you have a few options here...first, you can always post a wanted add in the classifieds section of the site, there may even be one listed right now for sale. Second, with enough searching through Google shopping, you can probably find a brand new Fluval 405 for around $130-140 w/ free shipping which would be a great canister filter for your 55 gallon. Lastly, if $ and maintenance are an issue, why not combine the fish into the tank with the canister filter? If you only have 7 Danios in each tank, they would obviously all fit into a single 55, and would probably be happy to have the company :)

one tank is in my son's room, and soon to have some bottom feeders in it. the other tank is in our bedroom and it is just starting out. i did a fishless cycle on ours, but i don't want to overload the tank. but i have thought of combining them on multiple occasions! we also have a 10g in the living room, which is how this ball started rolling in the first place. :) Our power filter is good in the 10g, but i think i just need to overhaul my son's tank. switch the gravel to sand, new filter, and of course that would get rid of the stupid UGF. but what we have money for comes first. maybe i should move them to our tank for now and start over on my son's tank? now i'm just thinking out loud! haha

I agree with eco23 ... I'd say combine the two danios into one 55 gal. I don't see a worry about overloading a 55 with that stock.

it's not the overload, it's the fact that he wouldn't have any fish in his room!:brows:

You could move one of the 55's into the living room to serve as your centerpiece tank (since that's where you probably spend the most time...awake at least), and move the 10 gallon to your sons room. That is, if you can sacrifice the one from your bedroom.

Gotcha ... How about putting some ornaments of fish in the meantime?:D ... until you can add more fish later ... nothing sadder than an empty tank:nono:

We have thought of moving both 55g into the living room, one on each side and below our TV, which is mounted on the wall so I wouldn't worry if anything leaked, but the tank in his room is what he asked for for his birthday. It's his tank.

If I overhaul the tank I think I'll move everyone into our tank.

A question for jcolon- do you think tiger barbs and danios would get along? i like both, but not sure for tank mates

my tiger barbs and glofish got along perfect... (obviously glofish is a danio)... tigers are fast but usually don't mess with the danios because danios are slightly faster I believe, now angels or any other slow moving fish, the barbs will likely harass nad kill

Back
Top Bottom