Need Small Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackSpadesSI

Aquarium Advice Freak
Please recommend me a small heater (about 6" long) to heat a small (3-gal) tank. If the heater does not have an adjustable temperature set point, it must be preset at 75-80 degrees F.

It would be a plus if the heater could be bought either at PetSmart or through Amazon.com.

Hmmm...that's a toughy. Tetra makes a small heater, but I've never found one that worked. And besides, I think even the little tetra heater would make it too warm in a tank that small. Speaking of which, what were you thinking of keeping in a tank that small? Other than snails or shrimp I can't think of a fish that you could keep in there.

I suppose the heater could be up to 9" long if I mounted it horizontally. Does that help the recommendation any?

I was thinking of the hydor miniheater as well, but as jeta said, it only raises the temp by something like 5 degrees IIRC. I've got one that I've used a few times in a tiny hospital tank, but it definitely wouldn't warm your water to 75-80 unless your house was that hot. But I don't know the first thing about rcs.

from what I've read, it's supposed to bring it up to around 76. As to whether it has enough wattage to do that, it'd depend on both ambient room temp but also the volume of the tank it's going in. Since it's rated for a 5g, a tank half that size would probably get up to the desired temp much easier.

Even if it doesn't get it all the way up to 76, I think you'll be fine. I've had no problem breeding RCS in the low 70s.

I'm sorry I can't help but I have to mention... you live in central FL and keep your house at 65? I can't even imagine that electric bill!

Good luck with the heater!

I see you live in FL too. Yep, no way to keep the house that cold. Well at least not if you want to eat! I've gotten used to it though. I work for a doctor and he always keeps the office at 68 degrees! I feel so bad for our patients sitting almost naked waiting for the doctor at that temp. I finally had to buy them blankets!

Yep, Michigan. I love AC!!! It's worth every penny :-D

I bought a small Marineland 10W heater from PetSmart today (they didn't have the one you mentioned). I'll see how it does.

The Marineland 10W heater is holding at ~79 degrees. While it was thoroughly overpriced, IMO, it seems to be a decent little heater for a small tank.

JackSpadesSI said:
Please recommend me a small heater (about 6" long) to heat a small (3-gal) tank. If the heater does not have an adjustable temperature set point, it must be preset at 75-80 degrees F.

It would be a plus if the heater could be bought either at PetSmart or through Amazon.com.

Get the Aqueon Pro 50w heater, more than enough and its slim, compact design will fit just right IMO.

Mr. Limpet said:
Get the Aqueon Pro 50w heater, more than enough and its slim, compact design will fit just right IMO.

I mentioned above that I already bought a heater. I happen to own the Aqueon Pro 50W heater for another aquarium, and it is way too big for this tiny RCS tank.

Uh oh. I got home and checked my tank's temperature - it was 82! My house, meanwhile, was 67.

If I didn't have my AC on full blast, would this heater have cooked my shrimp alive?

Back
Top Bottom