Need some aquarium styling help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John99

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I'm a new member, but I've had my aquarium for around 4 years. I've looked around the forum and seen a couple of half gravel, half sand aquariums, and I've decided to do the same. Attached is a pic of my aquarium. I've been messing around with Paint and i would like to know what other people think would be a good color of sand. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DSCF1838.jpg
    DSCF1838.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 85
given the color of your substrate I would say white, but I like the way it looks now.
Thanks dcutl002! :thanks: I like it too, but I wanted some sand for my cories, and eventually a few dojo loaches. I tested white in paint, and it does look nice. And flchamp89, those are actually all fake plants. I probably don't have the time and expertise to manage live plants! lol :lol:

So here is the tank with sand, white and black sand. Did this on paint, would appreciate replies!

Attachments

• whitesand.jpg
    whitesand.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 81
  • tansand.jpg
    tansand.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 76
  • blacksand.jpg
    blacksand.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 78
Since you have the two colors in gravel, I would say match one of them. I agree with not doing a straight line.

My 20 long has a split with eco complete and sand.

1492401444446.jpg

Unfortunately freshwater puffers don't make sand art like their marine counterparts. ?

Also dont expect the sand area to stay perfect it will eventually kinda mix togrther. At least some unless you get some kind of border (natural or man made) going.

Also dont expect the sand area to stay perfect it will eventually kinda mix togrther. At least some unless you get some kind of border (natural or man made) going.
I though about that too, so I was searching around and found this. You use milk jug strips to separate the sand from the gravel.

I liked the original tank. Make sure all the edges of the milk jugs aren't going to hurt the fish with sharp edges.When you vacuum won't the sand drift all over the tank? An off the wall thought take something aquarium safe and coat it with sand and shape it the way you want it this way it won't blend.

My divider is a ceramic wall that I made. I do have to remove bits of eco complete every so often, but I have a spoon with holes just the right size to pick up the gravel and leave the sand.

If you want to dull the edges of a cut milk carton, you could carefully run along the edge with a lighter.

@Sharmon, when you vacuum sand, you don't pick it up like you do with gravel. My understanding (and I very well could be wrong) is that you hold the siphon straight up and down on gravel because detritus falls down into the gaps. There are no big gaps in the sand, so you can just vacuum the surface.

I liked the original tank. Make sure all the edges of the milk jugs aren't going to hurt the fish with sharp edges.When you vacuum won't the sand drift all over the tank? An off the wall thought take something aquarium safe and coat it with sand and shape it the way you want it this way it won't blend.

I'm afraid I don't understand. :( Do you mean coat the divider with sand or what?:huh:

I was thinking you could do something similar to what Nirbhao did.I was giving you an idea for hiding the milk jug strips.

If making plastic strips to separate substrates, look at the half gallon plastic bottles like Gold Peak tea is sold in. Its sturdy and clear. And it's a pretty decent tea as well, lol.

My divider is a ceramic wall that I made. I do have to remove bits of eco complete every so often, but I have a spoon with holes just the right size to pick up the gravel and leave the sand.

If you want to dull the edges of a cut milk carton, you could carefully run along the edge with a lighter.

So how exactly did you make the ceramic wall, and would you recommend it? By the way your tank looks really cool!(y)

Thank you!

I'm a ceramist. I threw a large, low vessel with stoneware. When it was firm enough to handle, I cut it and lined it up with a template I had drawn. Single fire for both bisque and glaze because I'm impatient. I used silicone adhesive to hold it in place, let it cure (MUST BE PATIENT), and then filled on either side.

I would absolutely recommend this method!

Were I to do it again, I would use the adhesive on the sides as well as the bottom and would fill less. The place where the substrate is higher than the edge has minor landslides occasionally.

You want to use a clay and glaze that are food safe. I don't know what your access to clay and kiln looks like. There are often open studios at community colleges and sometimes in malls.

I'm on my phone, so I can't see your whole profile. Is this the 45 gallon?

I did make two of these borders. The one I didn't use is lighter and more smooth. It's two pieces. Would you be interested in it?

Thank you!

I'm a ceramist. I threw a large, low vessel with stoneware. When it was firm enough to handle, I cut it and lined it up with a template I had drawn. Single fire for both bisque and glaze because I'm impatient. I used silicone adhesive to hold it in place, let it cure (MUST BE PATIENT), and then filled on either side.

I would absolutely recommend this method!

Were I to do it again, I would use the adhesive on the sides as well as the bottom and would fill less. The place where the substrate is higher than the edge has minor landslides occasionally.

You want to use a clay and glaze that are food safe. I don't know what your access to clay and kiln looks like. There are often open studios at community colleges and sometimes in malls.

I'm on my phone, so I can't see your whole profile. Is this the 45 gallon?

I did make two of these borders. The one I didn't use is lighter and more smooth. It's two pieces. Would you be interested in it?

Well that seems....complicated:blink:. That's really cool, but i'm afraid that's a bit complicated for my pottery skill level(0). lol That seems a bit different from the look i was going for. In my mind, the barrier wasn't even going to be visible like this here. Once again your tank is really awesome but I think I'll try something else.

Yes, this is the 45 gallon. Thank you for offering, but I'm afraid I can't take the border. Ohhhh, but maybe once I get my old 13 gallon running again I can use your tank for inspiration (If your OK with it, of course)!!

So does anyone know any good sand of any color? I'm going to need some advice on sand, is there any thing specific I have to do with it? Also could I add live plants with sand?

Back
Top Bottom